Tuesday, July 17, 2018

(11) Two vampires, a ghoul and a shifter.

"Careful," Piers cautioned. "There's a small lake just ahead. I don't want you falling in."

"Is it invisible?" Linden asked in amusement.

"No, you nut, but the trees go almost to the edge of it from this direction. Once we get around it, it's only another mile or so to where we're going."

"Which is where? You still haven't told me."

"I know," Piers replied with a grin. "I want it to be a surprise." With the moon almost full, and the sky clear, Linden's first view of the ruins would be perfect.

"I should have left a trail of breadcrumbs," Linden said, only half kidding. "I am totally lost. This place is beyond huge."

"Great isn't it. If we wanted to escape to town there's no way they'd know for ages. They'd just think we were out exploring again."

"I have the feeling the vampires guarding the perimeter would know immediately and stop us."

"Yeah," Piers sighed. "They would, but we can dream."

They were around the lake now and back into the trees. Thanks to the fact that Linden was a ghoul, he had enhanced speed and strength. Nothing compared to a vampire's but much more than the average human had. So keeping up with Piers, who was moving quickly without really realizing it, was no problem.

Suddenly Piers stopped. "It's just over that mound. Are you ready?"

"Unless there's a man-eating tiger there, yeah."

"No. Something much more impressive." Piers watched Linden as they reached the top.

"Holy shit," Linden murmured, awestruck.

The ruins stood in stark relief in the moonlight. The ancient stones seemed to glow with an unearthly luster, the twin crenellated towers standing tall in the center, on either side of the huge, arched gatehouse. The surrounding walls between them and smaller towers on either end were in disrepair to such an extent that there were places where a man could easily climb over them.

"It must have been magnificent when it was whole."

"So Roderick says. War, and a resulting fire, brought it down to the state it's in now."

"Have you ever explored it?"

Piers nodded. "Once, just a bit. Then Roderick caught me at it and there was hell to pay." He grinned. "But he's not here now, and we are."

5 comments:

  1. That’s so sweet of Piers! I love this story! Found out I had Let go of loneliness reading it now...lol. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digging into your virtual TBR pile? *G* I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. I have found books from 2013 I bought and have not read! Lol when ever I see a discount sale I buy and then forget..getting old sucks chicken legs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This exploration may not be good.

    ReplyDelete