Sunday, June 17, 2018

My Brother’s Keeper - 41


Tad tossed some cash at the cab driver, grabbed his bag and portfolio, and dashed into the building. He slid into his seat just as the professor entered the room. An hour later, after he’d explained why he had missed some classes, which the professor accepted with reasonably good grace, he was walking on to his next class.

As he crossed the campus he heard Melodie call his name. With a sigh he waited for her to catch up. When she linked her arm with his and asked in a very aggravated voice why he hadn’t called her he gave her a brief rundown on what had happened.

“Well you should have called anyway,” she pouted. “After all I am your girlfriend. You’re supposed to let me know what’s going on.”

Tad bit his lip, and then bit the bullet. “About that, I think it’s time we went our separate ways,” he replied.

“You what?” she screeched. “Are you breaking up with me?” Before he could reply in the affirmative she said almost as loudly, “After all we’ve been to each other, how could you?”

“That’s rather cliché,” he muttered. “And if you want to face the truth, Mel, the only thing I’ve been to you is a source of help with your class work and someone to be with to show your friends that you did have a boyfriend.”

“That’s so not true.” She glared daggers at him for a long moment. “Well you know what, I was going to break up with you anyway. Paul Arthur’s been after me for ages and he’s much more interesting than you.” With that said she flounced away.

“Well that went well, not,” he commented under his breath, ignoring the looks some of the other students who had watched Melodie’s little scene sent him. When he got to his next class, which was Mr. Moore’s, he dropped into his seat with some relief.

“Nice of you to decide to join us again, Mr. Cooper,” the professor said acerbically. “Where’s your sidekick?”

“I have a feeling she’s going to drop the class,” Tad replied quietly.

Mr. Moore nodded and class began. When it was over he told Tad to meet him in his office. “Close the door, please,” Mr. Moore said when Tad came in. “Now, would you mind telling me why you’ve been MIA?”

Tad did and when he’d finished Mr. Moore actually smiled. “That is quite a story. It will add something to your portion of the Winter art show.”

“Umm,” Tad said hesitantly, “I never got a chance to submit my photos to the committee.”

“I’m aware of that. I managed to wrangle you an extension. Do you have them with you?” He glanced at Tad’s portfolio.

“Yes, sir.”

“Very good. Come with me. Oh, and from what you implied before class I have the feeling you and Miss Raines have had a parting of the ways. Congratulations.”

2 comments:

  1. Omg love Mr Moore. Hah happy to hear that the instructors are being so good about his missing. Mel is going to get a rep for being easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might. LOL. And profs usually understand as long as you've got a valid reason

      Delete