Friday, April 20, 2018

My Brother’s Keeper - 12


“Why do you trust him,” Jerry whispered to Roy as Tad sat down.

Roy shrugged. “Not much he can do to us here so let’s hear what he has to say.” He turned to look at Tad. “I’m Roy, this is my brother Jerry.”

“Names for the faces.” Tad smiled. “All right, to cut to the chase, a week or so ago I took your pictures. You were, I think it’s called dumpster diving.”

“We do that a lot,” Jerry said a bit snarkily.

“I’m sure you do, unfortunately. And honest,” Tad said quickly when the brothers frowned angrily, “I didn’t mean that condescendingly. Anyway, the night I took your pictures three guys were going to attack you.”

“Hang on.” Roy looked at him. “It was you. You’re the guy who told us to run.”

“Yeah, that was me.”

“We owe you, man. Thanks.”

“You don’t owe me anything. As a matter of fact, I owe you. Those pictures I took are good enough that my professor wants me to enter them in the winter art show at the university.”

“Oh?” Roy said cautiously.

“You don’t like the idea I take it.”

Roy glanced at Jerry who was shaking his head. Then he asked Tad, “How big is this show? I mean is it open to everyone or just the people at the university?”

“Everyone. That’s a problem I take it.”

“It could be.” Roy started to say something more. He stiffened suddenly and sighed. “No rest for the wicked.”

Tad turned to see what was bothering Roy. “Oh shit, it’s those guys.”

“Yeah. At least they can’t come in here and start trouble, but the guards will kick us out pretty soon since they know we’re not here to catch a bus.”

Tad made a quick decision and reached into his boot to get his cell phone. He punched in a number and moments later said, “Can you pick up me and two friends at the bus station, ASAP?” A moment later he said, “Thanks,” and hung up. “The cavalry to the rescue. She should be here in ten give or take.”

“Then what?”

“Then you come to my place where it’s safe and we finish this discussion.”

2 comments:

  1. Holy fuck a duck with a squirrel!!! Love this but I think the person that is picking up is gonna have a kitten with a hogsnout

    ReplyDelete