Friday, December 29, 2017

(60) When all else is lost the future still remains



“We made a mess.” Race’s eyes were alight with laughter as he looked down at his chest and then at Shan’s.

“Some messes are well worth making.” Shan bent to kiss him before sliding off the bed, heading to the bathroom. He returned a few moments later, cleaned up and holding a wet washcloth and a towel. Gently, being as careful as possible not to touch the faint burn marks visible on Race’s chest, he cleaned his lover up. Then he reapplied the ointment the doctor had given them, unconsciously scowling as he did.

Race watched him and when he’d finished he put a finger under Shan’s chin to make him look up. “Stop looking like you want to kill someone, probably me. I’m going to be fine. It won’t even scar according to the doctor, and if it does, well once I learn how to use the healing powers Kayne says I’ve got, I’ll fix it.”

“I know that, here,” Shan tapped his temple. “But in my heart what happened still scares the hell out of me.” He stared at Race but the young man could tell it wasn’t him he was seeing.

With a deep sigh Race turned away from Shan, pulling the sheet up and covering his eyes with his arm. “I need to sleep.”

Pulling himself back from his memories Shan nodded. “It’s probably best that you do.” He started to get up then paused. “Look at me Race.” When Race remained as he was Shan pulled his arm away from his face. “I have something I need to say. Something I’ve told you before, but I guess you didn’t believe me. You’re the most important person in my life now. Yes I’ll remember the past and Lav, but that is the past. You are my future and I pray that you think that I’m your future because…” He took a deep breath. “After what happened, when for a brief moment I thought I was going to loose you, I knew that saying I cared about you was wrong. I love you Race. For what that’s worth, for better or for worse, I do love you.”

Race smiled, his eyes lighting with happiness. “Then you are my future. We’re each others future, because I happen to love you, too, as you well know.”

“Then we’re good?” Shan asked gruffly.

“Good? Shan, we’re great.”

The End

4 comments: