Wednesday, December 27, 2017

(59) When all else is lost the future still remains



“Not one more word from you,” Race said, glaring at Shan from the bed where he was resting at Shan's orders. “I’m here, I’m alive, I’m healing, albeit slowly since Kayne’s not here to work his magic. Live with it.”

Shan growled, running a hand through his hair as he paced back and forth across the room. “You almost—you could have died as a result of that stupid stunt.”

“And if I hadn’t done that, you and Addie could be dead,” Race told him, a flash of fear crossing his face from the memory. “As it is, everything worked out just fine.”

Shan paused and then came over to the bed. He sat carefully on the edge so as not to jar Race, taking the young man’s good hand in his. “I know it worked but damn it, I just about died on the spot when you … when you… No more coming with me if there’s going to be a fight. Is that understood?”

“Absolutely.” Race rolled his eyes. “If you think I’m going to obey that order, you are out of your mind. You said yourself I have untapped potential, other than healing. It’s up to you to get me trained to do what I’m capable of because, love, there is no way in hell that you’re going off to battle without me at your side watching your back.”

Shan almost grinned as he replied, “How can you watch my back if you’re beside me?”

“You know what I meant, you ass.” Race pulled his hand free of Shan’s so that he could touch his cheek. “I mean it. If this is going to work between us I will not be treated like a kid.”

With a sigh Shan reluctantly agreed. “It’s going to be hard, but you’re right.” He retook Race’s hand, kissing the palm. “You know I’m going to work the hell out of you once you’re back on your feet again.”

“I could do with a good workout.” Race grinned, moving his hips suggestively.

Shan bit back a laugh, growling, “Not until you’re on your feet.” 

“Or my knees?”

“Keep this up and…”

“You’ll be ‘up’ and as frustrated as I am?”

Shan shook his head. “Kid, what the hell am I going to do with you?”

“Well, you could…”

“Kiss you so you quit talking?” Shan put his words into action.

“That works,” Race was finally able to reply when they broke apart to catch their breaths. “How about you summon Kayne, because I don’t think I can stand waiting another minute to be up and moving and making love to you.”

“I know what you mean,” Shan told him, his voice rough with desire. “But no one summons the Gryphon, so I guess we’ll have to…deal.”

Race glanced at the tented sheet half covering him and the thick bulge in Shan’s jeans, “Well there are ways to solve our problem. We have working hands, and mouths.”

“Hand, in your case,” Shan muttered, looking at the thick bandages covering Race from one shoulder down to his fingertips.

“That I’d rather use on you than me, if you’d just do something about all those clothes you’re wearing.”

4 comments:

  1. I love that these two are together! The interaction between them is fun to read! Once again you prove to be a great story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them together as well. Thanks so much for doing these. I look forward to them

    ReplyDelete