Monday, December 11, 2017

(51) When all else is lost the future still remains



“It’s just a house. How can it be as secure as you say it is?” Race walked around the living room on the second floor, stepping over a stuffed elephant that sat in the center of the floor.

Addie turned from the computer to smile at him. “Once you meet Darian and get to know him, you’ll understand. Between him and a couple of friends, this place is safer than Fort Knox. Not even Kayne could get in here when the shields are up.”

“Which is saying something,” Shan said as he sat down at the table and opened his laptop.

“So what should I be doing, other than wearing a rut in the carpet by pacing?” Race asked.

“See if there’s anything edible in the fridge for breakfast.”

Race went to check, calling back a minute later, “Do you want me to fix something or did you just want to know what’s available?”

Shan looked up, shaking his head in amusement. “Fixing something would be good, if you know how to cook.”

After Race had flipped him off and set himself to doing so, Shan logged on and went in search of a site that would give him the detailed maps he needed. Meanwhile, Addie was doing her own searching. A few minutes later she nodded and sent the information she’d found to the printer.

“Success?” Shan asked, looking over at her.

“Yes. I know who’s aligned with the vampire and where to find them when the time comes. Thankfully none of them are from this territory. I may not call many here ‘friend’ but I’d still hate to have to take out someone I know. There are three of them, all suckups to anyone they see as potentially being able to rule either a city or in this case a territory.”

“Find out anything more about the dhampir?”

“Other than what Kayne told us and what we already know? No. He’s pretty much of an enigma. There are rumors of a dhampir who’s also a strong sorcerer, but nothing concrete enough to tell us anything useful.”

“Then I guess we get to play it by ear once we come up against him. How old is his father?”

“He’s younger than me by about a hundred years. Not that, as old as we both are, it makes much difference. I did find out he’s telekinetic and can control the wind, but then I have the gift of fire plus a couple of other tricks that the Master showed me, so we should be evenly matched.” She pulled the sheet of paper from the printer and came over to sit down beside Shan, handing it to him.

He chuckled as he looked at it. “Want to print it out in ink, not Braille?”

“Oh hell, I forgot about that.” She went to set the printer and came back with a fresh sheet of paper a minute later. After she’d sat again, she glanced at the kitchen, making certain Race was still busy cooking before asking softly, “Are you planning on bringing him with us?”

Shan nodded. “If, well, if things continue the way they might be, he’s going to have to learn what my life is like in reality. I suspect he’s gotten a bit of an idea, but meeting it face on is the only way to show him this isn’t a video game world we live in.”

“You know, there’s the possibility that his being there will split your concentration. Can you handle that?”

“I’m going to have to, aren’t I? But I’m going to give him some down and dirty training first. Hopefully, he’s quick to pick up on it.”

2 comments:

  1. Awesomeness is right here! Loved it! Can't wait for the next installment! I am always wanting more!

    ReplyDelete