Sunday, December 3, 2017

(47) When all else is lost the future still remains



“I must admit that was the last thing I’d have expected,” Shan said when Kayne told them who, or more precisely what had taken over the Messenger’s body.

“Would one of you care to explain exactly what a dhampir is?” Race asked.

“It is a child of a human female and a vampire male, and has the unique ability to be able to see a vampire even when they are invisible to humans, or any other species. They have vampire abilities such as speed, strength, agility, and a rapid healing rate. Add to that the fact that, unlike all but the most ancient of vampires, they can walk during the day, it makes them excellent vampire killers. They can access a vampire’s lair…” Kayne smiled slightly at Addie. “Excuse the term lair, but that is how most humans think of it. As I was saying, Race, they can access it while the vampire sleeps and kill it.”

Race frowned. “But humans can do that too.”

“Indeed, but first they have to find the resting place, which can be tricky, as any vampire who wants to remain alive would be very careful not to go there while being observed,” Addie replied.

“So you go invisible before going home?”

“I’ve been known to, yes, if I think I’m being followed by someone who’d like to take me head. But usually I come and go like any normal human.”

Race shivered. “I don’t think I could live like that, always looking over my shoulder for danger.”

“I think you spent several years doing just that Race,” Shan pointed out. “Not to keep from being killed, although I suspect at times that could have been a possibility, but just to keep yourself and your possessions safe from street predators and the cops.”

“Very good point, but I still rather not spend my life living that way.”

“None of us do boy,” Kayne commented a bit acidly. “However, it is the lot of the non-human to use your term. Undeservedly, in most cases. That can be blamed to a large degree on writers and movie makers who like to use us as the villains.”

“And he’s off riding his hobbyhorse again,” Shan muttered.

“It is the truth and you know it, Darshan.”

“I suppose, but right now we need more details from you on the dhampir who’s looking for Addie.”

2 comments:

  1. Very very interesting! I wonder what it wants with Addie.... very intriguing story!

    ReplyDelete