Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 64



“Tell you what,” Norris said, “I’ll teach you better English and you teach me your language.”

The Chupacabra hopped up and down excitedly. ::Yes::

Turing to Daniel and Jared, Norris grinned. “I think we have a kid one here.”

Watching the Chupacabra Jared wondered if that was so. “How old are you?” he asked.

::Am…:: It paused. ::Have thirty years. Am…young::

“So they have that in common with weres. They age slower than humans,” Daniel commented.

“Oh great, so I’m going to be a babysitter,” Norris muttered.

“I think you’ll survive. It’ll give you practice for when you finally find a mate and settle down.”

“I just thought of something,” Jared said. “You’re also going to have to teach him the difference between wild prey and farm animals. He may not want to attack humans but they’ll come looking for him if he kills their livestock or a dog.”

“Very good point.” Norris turned to the Chupacabra. “Where do you sleep? Oh, and what should I call you?”

::I sleep safe. In trees. Call me Ayar-Cachi::

“How bout I just call you Ayar?” Norris thought for a moment before saying, “If you want to you can stay here. It’s not big but it has two rooms. I think the sofa would easily accommodate you.”

Ayar tilted his head. ::Sofa?::

“Come on, I’ll show you.” Norris started towards the cabin, turning back to beckon to Ayar when he didn’t follow. “Afraid?” he asked, partly taunting, partly afraid that the Chupacabra actually might be.

::No fear:: Ayar snapped, hopping after Norris.

Once the pair disappeared into the cabin Jared said, “I think our job here is done Cat Boy. Do you want to hang around for a day or two just to spend time with your brother?”

Daniel considered that and shook his head. “I think he needs to concentrate on Ayar for the time being. Besides, we have to get back and let the Council know what’s going on. Now that I know where he is I can come back any time to visit.”

“Alright. Then let’s say our good-byes and go home.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment