Saturday, June 10, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 24



“I don’t know where it is.” Mor watched the tall, willowy man who stood a few feet away from her.

“Do not lie to me again sorceress. I know you’re the one who took it and I want it, now!”

“I swear that its location is as much of a mystery to me as it is to anyone else.” She struggled against the magical bonds that held her in place.

“How is that possible? Why would you take it and then be stupid enough to misplace it somewhere?” Pacing to the stone wall he slammed his hand against it in anger and frustration before turning back to look at her. “No, you didn’t do that. It’s some where here and you will tell me where.” Stalking back he stopped inches from her and smiled with evil intent. “Do you know what pain feels like sorceress, real soul deep agony? If you don’t, you’ll find out soon enough. Now, where is it?”

“I. Don’t. Know,” she replied, meeting his eyes.

Placing one finger against the hollow of her throat he murmured a few words and her body arched as pain tore through her with such intensity that she couldn’t even scream.

“Now that’s no way for a gentleman to treat a lady,” Jared commented as he stepped through one of the arches into the room.

“But then he’s no gentleman,” Daniel said from a second arch.

The man, the nahual, spun around to stare at them in shock for a moment, before his lips drew back in a feral grin. “The rest of the trio appears. How? I have no idea how since I warded her home against intruders. But that doesn’t matter at the moment. I’m certain that subjecting you to the same pain I just gave her, and worse, will convince her to tell me what I want to know.”

“Oh dear, Jared, I do believe the bad man is threatening us,” Daniel said with a sly smile. “Whatever shall we do?” He shifted, and his jaguar form moved on silent feet toward the nahual, fangs bared.

The nahual shook his head as he raised his hands, sending a flash of energy towards Daniel that would have had him shifting uncontrollably from jaguar to human and back again—if it had hit him. Instead it seemed to encase him only to slide past, scorching one of the tapestries on the far wall.

“How..?” the nahual growled angrily as he backed away from the advancing jaguar. “Not that it matters. I’m certain a bit of silver will cause your friend there a great deal of agony.” Two blades appeared, flying towards Jared. The day-walker vanished before they could hit their target. They seemed to hesitate and then rotated in the air and continued their flight. “They will find you,” the nahual said with a gleeful laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment