Sunday, June 4, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 21



The shaman looked up from his desk, inquiry on his face. “To what do I owe this visit?”

“You owe it to the nahual you felt in the area. We need your help.”

“I don’t see how I can assist you. I felt it while dream walking.”

Jared nodded. “We know, but logically if you felt him once you should be more sensitive to his presence again.”

“I see. Logically you’re correct. In actuality I wouldn’t bet the farm that I can, but if you need me then let’s get moving.”

Daniel laughed at the sudden shift in how the man spoke. “I take it you’re a bit more down to earth when it isn’t a client you’re trying to impress.”

The man shrugged. “My attitude, like my name, depends on who you are. When you walked in, you could have been a potential customer and most of them expect me to be…erudite and mystical. So that’s how I act.” He pushed his bulk up from the chair. “So where are we going and how do we get there. If you tell me we’re walking then you’re SOL on my coming with.”

“We can get you there instantly or drive, your choice,” Jared told him.

“Oh, teleporting.” The man grinned broadly. “Which one of you is the were? Oh let me guess, you are.” He pointed at Daniel.

“Yep, jaguar.”

“Then that makes you a vampire,” he turned to Jared, “because there’s only one enforcer team for the Supe council that has a jag on it.”

“Day-walker actually but we won’t debate terminology. If your ready Orion…”

“Hell, call me Billy, that’s my real name. And I’m more than ready.”

Seconds later the trio was standing just inside the vacant warehouse. Billy took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Then he crossed his hands over his broad stomach as he turned slowly in a full circle, his eyes wide open but unfocused.

“He was here,” Billy stated unequivocally. “At the door and just inside of it. He was angry, very angry.”

“Probably because he just missed us,” Jared told him. “You’re certain it was the nahual?”

“Very. I couldn’t mistake that signature in a million years. You, my friends, have an enemy.”

“And this is news why?” Daniel said. “We’ve got several of those. More than I can count on both hands actually. What’s one more added to the list.”

“Trouble, with a capital ‘T’ as the song says. This creature is not something to take lightly, which I trust you’re aware of. He radiates evil. That, coupled with his anger, can make him a formidable foe.”

Jared nodded. “Then we’ll be doubly on the alert for him. Is there anything else you can tell us about him?”

Billy shook his head. “That’s all of it in a very small nutshell. Now if you have nothing else you need me to do, how about you take me back. I have an appointment in,” he glanced at his watch, “twenty minutes.”

1 comment: