Monday, May 15, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 11



“Enough!” Jared glared at the pair. “Mor, I cared for you once but now I consider you a dear friend and nothing more.  After a hundred years you should realize that.”

“A mere few months in the grand scheme of our lives,” she retorted.

“Perhaps, but it is what it is. Daniel and I are together and I plan on that remaining so.” Jared squeezed her hand but his eyes were on his partner.

“I do as well,” Daniel replied softly.

“Now that that’s settled,” Jared said with smile for Daniel, “let’s get back to the business at hand. Mor can you narrow down the area where the wand is hidden, at least to within a few city blocks?”

“I can and I have.”

“Now if we could only do that for the nahual,” Daniel said.

Mor nodded. “If he is within close proximity I will know, but that is the best I can do for you.”

“It stands to reason that, if he’s indeed looking for the wand, he has probably zoned in on the same general area as you have, Mor. So that may be our best bet for finding him.” Jared stood with a glance at the others. “So I suggest that we go there now. That is, of course, if you’re willing to join with us in the hunt, Mor.”

“Now how could I pass up an offer to spend time with you, Jared?”

Daniel bit back his immediate reaction to her words and smiled instead. “I’m sure both of us will enjoy the company of a wise and beautiful woman.”

Mor laughed. “How hard did you have to bite your tongue to keep from saying what you really felt my cute jaguar?”

“Fairly hard, but I managed it,” Daniel replied with a grin. He held out his hand. “Friends for now?”

After a moment’s hesitation she took it. “Friends…for now.”

“Now that that’s settled,” Jared said, “do you need anything from here before we leave, Mor?”

She touched the chain around her neck as if to make certain it was still there and then shook her head.

2 comments:

  1. Not likely to be friends for more than a few hours and that may be straining it.

    ReplyDelete