Friday, February 26, 2016

Hunted – 47



The paint cans stood on a folded tarp in the center of the panic room, a small, unmarked box beside them. With Logan’s help Skye opened the cans and then suggested the two shifters wait outside while she played mixologist.

They left her there and went back into the hall. Brice paced, his forehead creased in a deep frown, while Logan sat with his back against the wall, elbows on his knees as he watched his friend.

“Have any brainstorms on how to draw him back here?” Logan asked.

“One. I start moving in here. That should catch his attention and since he’s obviously been here, he can teleport in. He can’t get into my condo unless I let him, which for damned good and sure I’m not going to.”

Logan thought about that and shook his head. “Play it in reverse. He’s bound to be skulking around in the neighborhood of the condo. Leave your curtains open so he can get a good view inside.

“Why the hell would I want him in the condo? So far it’s probably the only safe haven I have.”

“Because if he comes after you there, you can flash here and have time to make him think you’ve made it into the panic room. If he attacks here, he’ll be right on your tail and know you didn’t really go inside.”

“He’s right, Brice,” Faolán said as he appeared beside them. “He has to think he’s got you trapped in there and come in after you. That means you’ll have to land in the storage room, slide the wall back and then get hidden before he lands there. He’ll know you’re there by your scent, but not exactly where you are until it’s too late.”

“At least that’s the theory.” Brice sighed deeply.

Faolán shot him a look of annoyance. “You don’t trust us to help keep you alive?”

“Yes, I trust you, damn it,” Brice replied, rounding on him.

“Then act like it,” Faolán ground out through clenched teeth.

“What do you want? That I should kiss your ass to show you how thankful I am to have you standing by me?”

“It would be better than my feeling that you think I’m just here to make your life miserable.”

Brice seemed surprised at Faolán’s reply. “I don’t think that at all.”

“Then quit acting like you do.”

Logan watched with the feeling he was a spectator at a mating ritual, even though he knew the two men would kill him if he said that out loud.

Brice blew out a few short breaths. “I honestly didn’t mean to make you feel that way. I’m uptight and edgy and I hardly know you, and yet you seem to be taking over and trying to run things.”

“No I’m not. I just…I know Maximus, or more I know what he’s like now. You haven’t seen him in what, sixty years give or take? From what you’ve said and what I know, he’s ten times worse than he was then.” After taking a deep breath Faolán said, “You’re scared, I’m scared, so we’re sniping at each other. How about we call a truce until this is over?”

“All right.” Brice held out his hand. Faolán looked at it for a moment then shook it firmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment