Thursday, February 18, 2016

Hunted – 43



With a shake of his head, Faolán settled on the arm of the sofa. “I’m not totally ignorant about it, of course. But I’ve never held a job, never had a chance to find my niche so to speak. I guess I could be a laborer. I’m strong enough and I don’t mind hard work.”

“You’re too smart to settle for something like that.”

“And you base that assessment on what?”

“Listening to you talk and respond. Hell I bet you could do anything you put your mind to if you…put your mind to it.” Brice chuckled. “Okay that was sort of repetitive.”

Faolán smiled. “It was, but I get the point. And I suppose, to change the subject, we both should get some sleep if we’re going to be alert and awake tomorrow, or,” he glanced at his watch, “later today.”

“True. Come on, I’ll show you the guest room.” Brice glanced around then said, “No luggage?”

“I travel light. The only things I brought with me are sitting in a locker at the bus station, but I’ll be fine as long as you’ve got the basics, toothpaste and brush, soap, you know.”

“I suspect I can come up with those,” Brice told him with a light laugh. “I’ve even got sleep pants if you need them.”

Faolán cocked an eyebrow as he stood to follow Brice. “People actually use those?”

“Well I don’t, but I’ve had…well, you know. Damn every time I open my mouth I sound more and more like a scumbag.”

“No, you sound conceited actually,” Faolán told him. “Like you’re irresistible, or think you are.”

“Damn.” Brice ran a hand through his hair. “You know, I don’t—not really. It’s all an act. A way to justify the fact that I seem to be somebody important in other people’s eyes, when I know for a fact I’m nothing but an overpaid actor.”

Faolán studied him for a moment. “Truth?”

“Yes, well mostly.” Brice started towards the hall that led to the bedrooms. “I know I’m no slouch in the looks department, but honestly I’m not egotistical around friends. I hope anyway.” His smile was self-deprecating when he glanced back at Faolán.

“Since I haven’t actually known you for more than a few hours, I couldn’t say. You do seem to take a lot of pride in your conquests, though.”

“I… Oh never mind. I don’t know why I’m trying to defend myself to you. This is your room,” Brice thrust the door open. “Necessities are in the bath room.”  

“Thanks.” Faolán walked past him, waited until he’d moved out of the way, and then shut the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment