Saturday, February 6, 2016

Hunted – 37



Logan shook his head. “If I tell you, you have to swear by all that’s holy that this stays between you, me—and Brice, because it’s as much his story as mine.”

“Does he know you’re going to tell me?”

“More or less. It was his idea for me to find out if you can keep things to yourself. It’s important mainly because of what you overheard this evening.”

“About the stalking. The only thing that worries me, well not the only thing but one thing, is that his stalker might have followed him to the house.”

“He couldn’t have.”

Skye arched an eyebrow. “Why not? With that car Brice drives it would have been a snap to follow him. Oh, wait, it wasn’t outside the house tonight. Did he take a cab, or park a few blocks away and sneak in through the back?”

“No.”

“Then how..? Okay, this is part of the big deep dark secret isn’t it?” She took Logan’s hands in hers. “I swear by all that’s holy, and on my life as well, that anything you tell me remains between the two of us. Cross my heart.” She released one of his hands so she could do just that.

He smiled slightly at the childlike gesture. “Okay, I believe you, but what I have to tell you I can’t do here, because it’s sort of show and tell.”

“Oh goody, you’re going to strip and show me your assets,” Skye replied with a straight face.

Logan laughed, stood up, and offered his hand, which she took. “Actually, that’s closer to the truth than you think. We need…the park should work. It’s just late enough that there shouldn’t be anyone there, or at least few enough that we can find a secluded spot.”

“If I didn’t know better,” Skye said with a grin, “I’d think this was one hell of a round about way to get me alone and at your tender mercies.”

“Would you still come with me if I said you’re right?”

“Well, umm…” Skye chewed her lip as she looked up at him.

“I was teasing.”

“I figured, but the answer still is, probably.”

“Well now,” Logan replied with a quirk of his lips. “I’ll have to remember that for future reference.”

“Do.” She linked her arm with his and they walked silently to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment