Friday, January 29, 2016

Hunted – 33



“By the time I reached high school I had already decided I wanted to be a lawyer like dad. But then he died---cancer---and we were left with almost no money, what with the medical bills and all so…” Skye shrugged. “Now secretary is me, at least for the time being.”

“You’re planning on going to college?” Logan asked before he took the last bite of his hamburger.

“Oh yes, someday, when I get enough saved up. And you? Are you going back?”

“To college, I hope so. But not back there.”

“Why not?” she asked then mentally kicked herself when she saw the pain that flashed across his face for a second.

“I don’t know,” he replied quickly. “Too…small town, even with the university. Besides this city is growing on me.”

“It’s a good place to live. It’s got everything you could want if you know where to look.”

Logan smiled. “And I’m betting you do.”

“Oh yeah. But then I grew up here. So if there’s anything you want to know, or any place you want a tour of, just holler.”

“I just might do that, after I find another job.”

“How’s that going by the way?”

“I’ve got a couple of offers actually. I just have to make the decision. One’s way across town but pays better. The other one’s in Hyde Park, another interior reconstruction.”

“Which you like doing?”

“Yeah, actually I do. Better than just plain construction work.”

“Then it’s a no-brainer. You take that one,” she said with a wide grin.

“I think you’re right. I will. Do you want dessert or are you ready to go?”

“Let’s go. It’s getting late and I do have to get up bright and early for work. And you’ve got to get up and go tell them you want the job before someone else snags it out from under you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment