Thursday, April 30, 2015

44 - The darkest night will pass…




Katherine watched fearfully when the limousine pulled onto the drive and the King’s home came into view, the full moon illuminating its ancient grandeur. Other than excursions to go shopping with Chantal, this was the first time she had left Alaine’s estate since she’d been invited to stay with them. She trusted Alaine when he said she would be welcomed here—but still it was the King. And his human wife.

As the limousine pulled to a stop, the door to the manor house opened and a regal, dark-haired vampyre came down the steps to greet her.

“Welcome to my humble home,” he said, bowing slightly.

“Humble?” Katherine gathered up her waning courage, saying, “If this is humble than Alaine’s home is a shack by the railroad.”

Rian laughed, offering her his arm. “As you may have surmised I am Rian Marston. The lovely woman waiting for us is my wife, Pamela.” He looked up to where his wife stood framed in the doorway.

Katherine saw the look of love in Rian’s eyes and felt a tidal wave of sadness wash over her. She had once had that same kind love from Roque, and had thrown it away in a misplaced desire for revenge. Revenge which had driven her insane, and him to his permanent death.

Sensing her emotions, Rian drew Katherine into a brief hug, murmuring, “Do not be so unhappy.”

“If you tell me things will get better,” she muttered angrily.

He smiled. “Oh they will. No pain lasts forever. My son is living proof of that.”

As he finished speaking, they arrived at the top of the steps. Pamela stepped forward, wrapping her arm around Rian’s waist while she studied Katherine. “You are lovelier than I expected,” she commented, a tinge of chilliness in her voice. “Welcome to our home.”

Katherine snorted softly. “I look a mess. I haven’t had a chance to do anything about my hair and I’m all wrinkly. Well my clothes are.”

“Then come with me, I’ll show you to your room and you can freshen up before you meet the boys.” Pamela’s voice warmed slightly as she kissed Rian lightly and then offered Katherine her hand. “You must give me all the news about Alaine and Chantal. It’s been too long since I’ve seen them.”

Watching the two women walk away Rian shook his head. “I’ll never understand women if I live to be one million,” he muttered. 

Katherine, with her enhanced hearing, caught his words and stopped following Pamela long enough to look over her shoulder and say with a small smile, “Nor are you supposed to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment