Sunday, April 12, 2015

35 - The darkest night will pass…




“You’re absolutely certain you want to do this?”

Kemp nodded. “Yes, Trev. Positive.”

Trevor glanced at Seth for a long moment. “And you’re sure you can handle it as well?”

“It won’t be easy I know. After all I’ll be going up against my own kind when he needs backup.” Seth clicked his tongue against his teeth and then nodded. “It isn’t as if we’d be going after all of them. It's only the killers. I can handle that.”

“All right, I’ll let the others know, Kemp. I’ll also give you the names of a couple of vampyres I know and trust, just in case. Now about this other thing.” He paced to the window and back before continuing. “Here’s the deal. I’ll rent the house to you for a term of six months, Kemp. At the end of that time if you still want to buy it then it’s yours.”

“May I ask why those terms, sir?” Seth said.

“Because of you.” Trevor pulled up a chair to face Seth, who was sitting on the sofa. “You’ve managed to work your way into our lives, especially Kemp’s. Now I don’t want to be a naysayer but I have to be positive that you’re for real.”

Seth understood. “Because I’m Khalid’s Child.”

“Exactly. I don’t want Kemp to feel tied to this place if something happens between the two of you, or because of you.”

“I won’t betray him,” Seth said adamantly.

“I’m certain you believe that, but you have no defenses against other, stronger vampyres. Especially those who are Khalid’s or Hakim’s Children. Should they decide to seek vengeance for their Sires' deaths, you would be the obvious tool.” He slid his chair back far enough so he could look at Kemp as well as Seth. “I know that neither of you believe Seth is now, or ever could be, forced into another vampyre’s thrall. But believe me when I say it’s possible it could happen without either of you being aware.”

Kemp rubbed his forehead as he thought about that, then reached for Seth’s hand. “I’m willing to trust in him, and my feelings, even though I understand what you’re saying, Trev. We can wait out the six months easily, and you better believe, when they’re over we are buying the house.”

“I hope that’s the personal and not the royal ‘we’,” Seth said, trying to lighten the tension.

“It’s we as in you and me, smart ass,” Kemp grumbled in reply.

“Good.” Seth gave him a hug before looking back at Trevor, a worried frown on his face. “I don’t think you’re right about my possibly being in the thrall of any of them. But if it’s true, could Rikard tell and do something about it?”

“An interesting question, for which I don’t have an answer. I suggest you talk to him very soon and find out—for your sake and for Kemp’s.”

No comments:

Post a Comment