Friday, April 10, 2015

34 - The darkest night will pass…




“No, I haven’t made up my mind yet. I honestly don’t know if I’m good enough to be responsible for the whole territory on my own. I mean, yeah, I have been for the last week or so, but full time? Once the word gets out, there are going to be a lot of vampyres trying to test me. Hoping I blow it, or blow up under the pressure.”

“First off, if Trevor suggested it, that means he knows you’re good enough," Seth replied. "He’s one of the best in the business, so to speak. Secondly, I’ll come with you to watch your back, just in case.”

“You would? I know you said to call if things looked like they were going to get hairy, but that was just for emergencies. Besides, you have a job. You can’t just drop it and walk away.”

“Why not? I have money. I’m working to keep busy, not because I need to.” When Kemp shot him a surprised look Seth chuckled. “Most vampyres, if they’re smart, have money by the time they’ve reached my age. After all we don’t get sick, so no doctors bills, we don’t eat, so no food bills, and the majority of us don’t have houses or apartments because it makes us too easy to find. So what are we going to spend our earnings on other than clothes?”

“I never thought of it that way. Damn, my brother must be rich even with his house. I know my father’s not hurting but I never really put it all together like that.”

“Now you know. And I’d much rather spend my time trailing along after you than dancing at the club. That is if you do take Trevor up on the offer.”

“I might. At least if I do we’d have a place to stay, I think. I mean it is his house so unless he decides to sell it we’re set. And if he does,” Kemp grinned, “I’ll just hit up my rich relatives for the money to buy it.”

“Slow down, Kemp. Are you listening to what you’re saying?”

Kemp stopped, nodding as he turned to look at Seth. “I know exactly what I said—and meant. But I won’t push it. The house is there and one way or another I’m pretty certain it will be mine to use or buy. I want you there too, but that’s your decision.”

Seth smiled slowly. “I think it’s worth a try.”

No comments:

Post a Comment