Tuesday, October 14, 2014

4 - ‘Come gentle night…’



Leif shook his head in frustration as he listened to the shower turn on. He was sorely tempted to use Kemp’s idea in reverse, locking him in the bathroom until he saw reason. But knowing his brother that would never happen. For a nascent dhampir who was unwilling to use his abilities, or his strength, the kid could still be a royal pain in the ass. He would probably just crawl out the window to get away, assuming the bathroom had one.

“Damn it, Father, where are you when I need you.” He knew the answer to that; he was at his home in Europe with his human wife, living a life of luxury. Kemp was the result of that union. He on the other hand was the result of his Father’s turning him a few hundred years ago.

And there in lay the crux of Kemp’s problem. He had grown up in a household with two vampyres and his father’s visiting friends, and learned that not every vampyre was some evil spawn of the devil. As a result he had denied what he was supposed to be—and everything that came with it—when he had reached the age of eighteen. Rather than continue to live with his father, fighting the pull that would eventually drive him to kill those that his blood deemed were his enemies, Kemp had put as much distance as possible between them. The only reason he allowed his brother into his life was their strange mental connection.

Leif had been a cop in Seattle for years, first as a patrolman and then working his way up until now he was a sergeant on the force. He’d known the moment Kemp had arrived, and sought his younger brother out. Kemp had not been happy about that, refusing any help his brother had offered---insisting instead that he was going to be responsible for his own life for once. Looking around the dingy hotel room Leif shook his head, wondering if Kemp thought he was doing that successfully.

“I’m doing the best I can, Leif,” Kemp said as he came back into the room. “Yeah, I’m not rich. Okay, I’m poor. But I’ll make it eventually and on my own merits, not because you and dad helped or supported me.”

“Stubborn kid,” Leif said fondly. “But that doesn’t solve the immediate problem. I still need to take you in and get your statement, and then arrange for protection for you.

Kemp shook his head. “Like I said, you want a statement you take it here and now. And then I’m heading…umm…south maybe, where it doesn’t rain twenty-four/seven. Besides,” he glanced out the dingy window, “you don’t have time to take me in and go through all the rigmarole. Dawn will be here soon and you have to get home.”

As much as he hated admitting Kemp was right, he was. Taking out his notepad and a pen, Leif began quizzing his brother on what he’d seen. When they were finished, knowing it was just a salve to his conscience, he took out his wallet and handed Kemp a few bills. “It’s not much, but it can help. I know I can’t stop you leaving, since as you pointed out I have to get home before the sun gets too high, and I’m not about to cuff you and take you in at this point.”

6 comments:

  1. Thought for sure he would escape! The brother is nice. So vampires. Nice. Cant wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Lief is. Kemp is a dhampir (half vamp, half human) Now the question is, where is Kemp going to go? Find out tomorrow. *G*

      Delete
  2. I was wondering about that word! I think you could hurt yourself trying to pronounce it though. ;)

    ReplyDelete