Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Cabbie and the Cop – 33



“Now I know your friend’s in intelligence work. This smacks of something out of a spy novel or film.”

Simeon chuckled. “He’s just what I said, an extremely paranoid vampire. However he does have some interesting… acquaintances who have been known to use the house from time to time.” As he spoke he went to one door and with a flick of his hand moved a stone beside it to reveal a keypad. When he punched in the code, the door slid open. “Voila, the wine cellar.”

“And behind door number two?”

After repeating the steps at the second door, Simeon stepped aside to let Vergil enter.

“Nice and cozy. No coffin?”

“No coffin, wiseass. Just an extremely secure bedroom for emergencies. Now, for door number three.” Simeon opened the door.

Vergil whistled softly as he began exploring. “Is he preparing for Armageddon?”

One wall held shelves filled with non-perishable food, the second had a surveillance setup that made the one upstairs look like amateurish. On the third wall were enough weapons to make any NRA member drool.

Turning to Simeon, Vergil said quietly, “Who actually owns this place?”

Simeon shrugged. “I do, in conjunction with a few well-placed friends who would rather remain unnamed.”

“Including your ‘paranoid’ vampire friend I presume, if there really is such a person. Why all the lies, Simeon? You know I’d never reveal your… secret occupation I guess, for lack of a better description.”

Simeon sat, pointing to another of the chairs in the room. Vergil swung one around, resting his arms on the back, and waited.

“How many people have you trusted enough to tell them what you do?” Simeon asked as a preamble.

“No one. The only ones who know are a few men in the department.”

“Exactly. The same holds true for me, and for the same reasons. The less who know the less who can betray me, and before you ask I’m not some super spy. I’m just a small cog in a larger organization. I keep my eyes and ears open then report anything I see or hear to one of my superiors. The only difference between you and me is the fact that I work with and for other vampires.”

Vergil frowned thoughtfully. “How much of what you told me about your relationship with Calaul was the truth?”

“All of it. I did know him; I have tried to eliminate him, as have several others. So far no one’s been successful. I’m hoping this time that might change.”

“With me as the stalking goat.” Vergil smiled tightly. “Not that I mind if it gets him out of my hair so to speak.”

“I didn’t think you would. Right now though you have to let your boss know where you’re hiding out, and the sooner the better. Is your phone secure?”

“This one?” Vergil unhooked his from his belt. “No.”

“I can fix that.” When Vergil gave it to him, Simeon went over to the security center, returning a couple of minutes later to hand it back. “Call him.”

“Will the signal…? Never mind, silly question I’m sure.” After checking the time, Vergil scrolled through the numbers on his phone then dialed. It took a moment before a tired voice answered.

“This better be important,” Lieutenant Brewer growled.

“It is.” Vergil laid out what he needed the lieutenant to do. When he finished he answered a couple of questions before giving his boss the coordinates of the house. “Say you got them via GPS when I called you,” he suggested, chuckling when Lieutenant Brewer said, ‘I know, I wasn’t born yesterday’.

After he’d hung up Vergil said, “Done, and done. Now let’s hope it works.”

4 comments:

  1. I just hope they can trust the lieutenant! But I suppose it doesn't matter. They want them coming to them anyway. I like the "secure bedroom" though...you know...in case of an "emergency" *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I SHOULD have said is I like the "Secure bedroom" in case "something came up"! That's what I should have said!

    ReplyDelete