Friday, August 29, 2014

The Cabbie and the Cop – 24



Simeon stepped aside to watch as Vergil cut up chicken and vegetables. Then he heated oil in a deep frying pan preparatory to stir frying everything. “Did you grow the vegetables?”

“Some yes.” Vergil smiled proudly. “I have a fairly decent garden out back.”

“You have a ‘fairly decent’ one in your windows.”

“Well…” Vergil shrugged.

“Hey that wasn’t condemnation or anything. I like all the plants.”

By then Vergil had put everything into the pan, including some fresh herbs, and was carefully stirring them together. Simeon was surprised when he realized his mouth was watering from the aroma. When Vergil was ready to take the food out of the pan he glanced at Simeon. “You’re sure you don’t want some?”

“Well, maybe a little bit, just a taste.”

Taking two plates from the cupboard, Vergil heaped most of the stir-fry on one, putting a small amount on the second, and set them on the table along with cutlery and two glasses of wine.

Once they were seated Simeon tasted his cautiously. “It’s just a good as it smells.”

Vergil grinned. “So not boring?”

“Not in the least. It’s been a long time since I’ve had something this good. Well, actually, it’s been a long time since I’ve eaten much of anything at all.”

“Maybe next time I’ll…” Vergil dropped his eyes, concentrating on eating.

“If all your cooking is as good as this I’ll take you up on that.”

Vergil smiled but said nothing in reply.

They ate in companionable silence. When they were finished Simeon insisted on clearing up and doing the dishes despite Vergil’s saying it wasn’t necessary. “Neat freak here, remember,” Simeon said with a laugh.

Once he’d put away the last dish Simeon checked the time. “Now, I’m afraid, I’ll have to do the unforgivable, I’ve eaten, now I must run. Off to work that is, not literally run.”

Vergil chuckled at the joke. “I figured that’s what you meant.” He walked to the door with Simeon, hesitated then asked, “Will I see you again? I mean…”

Simeon put a finger under Vergil’s chin, tipping his face up, and bent slightly to brush a light kiss over his lips. “You will definitely see me again if that’s what you want.”

“I do.” Wrapping his arms around Simeon’s neck, Vergil did as Simeon had, pressing the lightest of kisses on Simeon's lips before stepping away. “Now you should go I suspect. Don’t want your bosses getting mad at you.”

“I’m pretty much my own boss, and I rarely get mad at me. However, yeah I should leave. I’ll call you.”

“I’ll answer when you do. Well, if I can.”

“I understand.” They kissed again, less tentatively than before. “Be careful out there,” Simeon said softly when they parted.

“Usually am, and you too.”

“I always am.” Simeon opened the door, stepping onto the stoop. “Until next time, good night.” He headed to his car, turned back when he got to it and smiled when he saw Vergil watching him.

There will definitely be a next time, he thought as he got in and drove away.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful. So love these two. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll kill one of them off, just to frustrate you. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY WORD!!! Wait...one is already dead, so you already did...

    ReplyDelete