Friday, August 15, 2014

The Cabbie and the Cop – 17



“Look, I’m sorry, but it would have been bad enough for a gay cop, if what the newspapers implied happened is true. Putting a straight man in undercover to catch men like that…” Simeon was startled when Vergil laughed. “I’m serious,” he said a bit testily.

“I know you are but you have your facts wrong. They did send a gay cop in. Of course my lieutenant is the only one who knows I am.”

“Well I’ll be damned.”

Vergil cocked an eyebrow. “Aren’t all vampires damned? At least according to the myths about them?”

“Now that wasn’t nice. It’s like saying all elves are… umm…”

“Smugly fantastic? Awesome beings? Physically superior to any other race? Stop me when I hit the one you were looking for.”

Simeon laughed. “I guess you aren’t in the least bit modest.”

“Hey. I didn’t say I was all those things.”

“No, I suppose technically you didn’t”

A smile lit Vergil’s face for a moment. “Playing with semantics, Simeon?”

“For what it was worth, yes. But, my dear boy, all this still begs the question of how you’re doing.”

“I’m not really a boy and you know it.”

“Merely a turn of phrase. So?”

Vergil spread his hands in resignation. “Probably, well definitely better than the men we rescued. I at least only had to go through the… shall we call it initiation process. They were living in…” His face closed down. Picking up his beer he drained the bottle then waved at a passing waitress, holding it up so she’d know he wanted another one.

“Guessing games again, Vergil? Hell, servitude, slavery?” As he said the last word Simeon saw Vergil’s eyes darken in pain that the elf immediately tried to hide by turning to watch the band. Reaching out his hand, he laid it on Vergil’s arm. “You can talk to me. You know I won’t tell, and I will listen and not condemn.”

“Actually, I don’t know that,” Vergil replied tightly. “Besides which, there’s nothing to talk about. I’m here, in one piece and to all intents and purposes undamaged, so drop it. Please.”

For the moment Simeon did. He changed the subject, talking about music since they were listening to some very good jazz, and then moving on to other impersonal topics. Eventually it was late enough he could suggest they leave. Vergil agreed, they finished their drinks, and then headed outside.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. So emotional. Love how these guys are getting to know each other. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete