Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Cabbie and the Cop - 2



After putting the cab in park and dousing the lights Simeon turned to his passenger. “Any idea who was following us?”

“Yes. Someone who’d like very much to know where I’m going. Sorry, I probably should have warned you.”

“Yeah you should have. What if I hadn’t spotted them?”

“The address I gave you is a blind. I’d have lost them there. By the way, you weren’t half bad at getting them off our tail. Had practice?”

“Not really. Just instinct I guess.” Simeon kept an eye on the mirrors, smiling slightly when the car sailed past, apparently without anyone in it bothering to check the alley. “So now where to?”

The passenger eyed him for a moment. “I could have you drop me where I said.”

“But you won’t. It’s pretty nasty out there so why get soaked when I can take you where you need to go.”

The man smiled slightly. “My thoughts exactly. You know the Westside well?”  

Simeon waggled his hand. “Well enough to get there and probably find wherever it is you’re heading.”

“Know a spot called Frankie’s?”

“Yep. And that neighborhood makes where we were originally heading look like the suburbs. You’ll stand out like a sore thumb there, umm…”

“Vergil,” the man replied. “And by the time you drop me off I won’t look like I just came from a business meeting.”

“Virgil like the poet?”

“Nope, Vergil, with an ‘e’. Believe me I’m not a poet.”

As he spoke, Vergil took off his suit jacket, folding it neatly before setting it on the seat beside him. Next he took off his tie and unbuttoned his shirt, which had Simeon cocking an eyebrow. It turned out the shirt covered a well-worn and sweat-stained T-shirt. When Vergil began unzipping his slacks Simeon turned away, starting the cab.

Vergil chuckled. “Don’t worry; I’ve got jeans on under these. I’m not a flasher.”

“And I bet they match the shirt.”

“They’re as old and ratty, yes.” Once the slacks were off they joined the rest of the neatly folded cloths on the seat. Vergil picked up the bag, snapping it open, and took out a worn jean jacket which he put on.

By then they were on the highway, heading west. Simeon stayed alert for any sign of the car that had been tailing them, or anyone else who appeared too interested in their destination. Vergil on the other hand seemed relaxed as he put the clothes he’d been wearing, including his dress shoes after changing them for an older pair, into the bag. He closed it then leaned forward, his arms resting on the back of the passenger seat.

“When we get to Frankie’s drive into the alley. I’ll get out there.”

“Sure, no problem. I’d ask what’s going on but I doubt I want to know, even if you were willing to tell me.”

“Which I’m not,” Vergil replied with a smile. “The less you know the better… for me.”

“Can I at least ask if I’m aiding and abetting?”

Vergil laughed. “If you were I’d probably have to kill you, and I’d rather not do that.”

“I think I’d rather pass on that myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment