Wednesday, April 23, 2014

22 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



By early evening Merlyn had finished the fourth of his ‘Club’ series of sculptures. Looking at them he felt a sense of accomplishment. They were good, at least in his estimation. He had two more planned and he’d start on one of them tomorrow. Now he needed a break. Taking out his cell he checked for messages, sighing when he saw there weren’t any.

“I guess you changed your mind,” he said under his breath as he pocketed the cell and headed downstairs.

A quick check of his kitchen told him he desperately needed to go shopping so, after changing out of his work clothes into a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, he took off for his favorite grocery store. He was halfway there when he felt his cell vibrate. Hoping against hope he answered.

“See, I told you I’d call.”

“Alan?”

“Yes.” There was a soft chuckle before Alan asked, “Are you busy right now?”

“Heading to the grocery store. Would you like to come over for supper?”

There was a brief pause before Alan said, “I promised to show you my special place. If you want.”

“I want. Tell you what, I’ll pick up something for us to eat, that is unless this place is a club or … whatever.”

“It’s not. Are you certain? About the food I mean, because we can picnic there.”

“Absolutely. Do you want me to pick you up?”

“Yes. Umm, do you know where the Athenaeum Library is?”

“You bet. I’ll be there in half an hour or less.”

“I’ll be the one pacing impatiently until you get here.” Alan laughed. “Just in case you’ve forgotten what I look like.”

“Believe me I know exactly what you look like. After all I do have a few sketches of you.”

“And you need them in order to remember me? I think my feelings are hurt.”

“Not at all! I remember you in vivid detail, trust me on that. Okay, I’m at the store. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

“I’ll be here. Hurry. I miss you.”

“After less than twenty-four hours?” Merlyn asked before realizing Alan had hung up. “I’ve missed you too,” he murmured to the dead phone.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I hope Alan is a good guy. I have a feeling he might not be. More!

    ReplyDelete