Thursday, April 10, 2014

16 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“You’re positive you don’t recognize the handwriting?” Detective Jonas said as she carefully inserted the note into a clear plastic evidence envelope.

“Positive.” Merlyn looked up at her from his seat on the sofa.

“And there’s no way someone could have gotten inside to deliver it and the flowers?”

“Isn’t that what your people are checking?” he replied somewhat acerbically.

“Yes.” She looked over as one of the policemen came into the room.

“The house is sealed tighter than a drum,” he told her. “And the alarm system is in working condition.”

“That’s not possible,” Merlyn growled.

“I’m sorry, sir, but possible or not it’s the truth. Unless you gave someone a key to the house, and security code, no one could have gotten in here.”

“Does anyone have those?” the detective asked as she sat down at the other end of the sofa.

“Only Alton and I don’t think he counts,” he replied tightly, staring down at his hands. “Oh, and the cleaning service but somehow I doubt one of their people did this.”

“What about the man you were involved with? Elliot?”

“Elliot, yes. And no, I changed the locks and the code three times since he left. I’m hardly likely to have kept things the same no matter what. I’m not an idiot.” His voice rose in anger.

“Calm down, I was just making certain.”

“I know. Sorry. I’m just a bit on edge here. Did Alton have his keys when you… when he was found?”

“He did, but it might be worth you’re taking a look at them to see if yours is still on the keyring.”

Merlyn nodded. “Even if it is that still doesn’t explain the security system being on. I guess a clever thief would know how to bypass it, but nothing was taken. It was just those left here.” He gestured towards the wilting roses.

“Those plus the contents of the note are worrying.”

“Worrying? The whole thing is down right scary if you ask me. I don’t like being threatened no matter what the reason, and this smacks of it. Although I suppose I could think positive. Whoever left the roses didn’t try to kill me, and god knows that would have been easy enough.”

“As a cop I shouldn’t even be asking this, but do you have a gun or some other weapon here for protection?”

“Sure, I have a dozen of them scattered around the house,” Merlyn replied sarcastically. “Detective, I don’t even know how to use one. Damn. I’m an artist, not a thug.”

“I understand. Unfortunately, there’s not much we can do unless there’s more than just a veiled threat. I suggest you keep your phone with you at all times, double check that the security system is on, and if you even suspect something’s not right, call 911.”

“Serve and protect huh? Well if that’s the best you can suggest then…” Merlyn sighed. “Sorry, that was uncalled for. You will let me know if you find out anything from the note I hope.”

“Of course.” She patted his shoulder before heading to the door. “And I’m serious. If you even think something is off kilter you’re to call. Until we find Mr Weber’s killer, you’re not to take any chances.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking though of course the not and rose are NOT a threat, at least a threat coming from the note maker. AND what I am thinking about who this "person" is it makes sense too on how he "got in". How he got the roses? Not a clue. That is the only snafu on my theory at this point. :)
    But as always , so very good. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait. Time will answer all your questions. *G*

      Delete