Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Prince and I - 30



Dashing up to Connor’s room as fast as possible, I burst through the door and froze. The room was empty—everything of Connor’s was gone. Everything, as far as I could tell. I checked the closet, the dresser, even the bathroom. It was like he’d never been there.

Moments later I was back in Sadron’s office. “Where is he?”

Without blinking an eye he replied, “Back home where he belongs and where he’ll be safe.”

“You… bastard! So all this talking was just a… a ruse to keep me here while he was forced to leave.”

“No, Richie, I intend to follow through on my promise. I’ve already arranged for an apartment for you close to the campus and for a tutor to help you pass your GED test. After that you will start classes, probably in the fall.”

“Not happening!” I swear I was close to crying, something I’d never done before no matter what had happened to me. But then I’d never been both so angry and so desolate at the same time. “You can take your… the whole damned offer and shove it!”

“Don’t be a fool young man! This is your chance to make something of yourself.”

“I’ll do it on my own so fuck you. And… and when you see… Aw hell…”

I got out of there fast because I was breaking down. Not just out of the office but out of the damned mansion as well. I didn’t know what hurt more, the fact that Connor had been forced to leave or the fact he hadn’t even said goodbye.

By the time I got to the end of the driveway my sight was blurred by tears. I collapsed against one of the tall pillars, rubbing my eyes.

This will teach me not to trust anyone, especially someone who acts as if they care! Damn you Connor! Damn all of you.

“Sir.” I looked up to see the bodyguard who hated me standing there. “You forgot this,” he said, handing me my backpack.

When I didn’t take it he dropped it down beside me. I glared at him. “Bet you’re happy. One less human to deal with.”

He shook his head. “Not really, or at least not in your case. You turned out to be halfway decent—for a human.”

“Gee thanks, I think. And, umm, thanks for bringing this.”

With a nod of acknowledgement he turned and walked back up the driveway to the mansion. I stood, picked up my pack, which I slung over one shoulder, and started back to the streets where I’d begun this whole fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment