Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Prince and I - 29



Sadron paced back and forth across his office. Each time he passed Connor and me where we were sitting on the sofa he glared. The whole time he was swearing under his breath in Elvish or whatever it was called. I figured if people spoke English in England then the elves probably spoke Elvish in Elfland. I snickered at the idea which only made Sadron glower harder.

Finally he came to a stop, planting himself in front of us. “Melcindómien…” He was back to using Connor’s real name now—and had been since we got back and the bodyguards told him what had happened. What he said after ‘Melcindómien’ I had no clue since it was in their language, but from the look on Connor’s face I knew it wasn’t good.

They argued for a few minutes then Connor jumped to his feet and stormed out of the room. I started to get up to follow him.

“Stay where you are!” Sadron ordered. “I have a few things to say to you.”

“You aren’t the boss of me,” I replied angrily.

“Actually at the moment since you’re a guest in my house I am.”

“Arthur’s house.”

“A technicality,” he growled, his arms crossed over his chest. “Now… I owe you my thanks for keeping my nephew safe when you first met him. Arthur told me he’d promised I’d reward you if you found Connor. I suspect you’re reasonably intelligent. You’d have to be to have survived the way you have. I hold controlling interests in two companies here in the city. I’m willing to offer you a job at one of them but not until you’ve finished your education.”

“As if,” I snorted. “I told you I dropped out of high school. Even if I got my GED there’s no way in hell I can afford college.”

“I intend to pay for it.”

I looked at him in shock, speechless for a minute. “Why?” I finally got out. “I mean all I did was find Connor and try to help him. That’s hardly worth…”

Sadron held up one hand to stop me. “You kept him safe from my enemies and brought him home. To me that means the world.” He paused for a moment to study me again. “What do you know about minerals?”

“Not a damned thing… um, sorry. Nothing, sir.”

He chuckled. “You don’t have to refine your words around me. You haven’t so far. I asked because I would like you to study mineralogy. If you do you could be a great help to me here.”

“Umm humm, right, like you don’t have experts already.”

“Experts, yes. Ones loyal to me and mine, no. They have no idea what I am and why I’m interested.”

I tapped a knuckle against my lips as I thought about his proposition. Hell, what did I have to loose? It would get me off the streets and hopefully keep me in contact with him, and more importantly Connor, on a regular basis. I had the feeling Sadron was a fairly regular visitor here. Finally I nodded. “I can try, that’s all I can promise.”

“That is all I ask. I’ll have Arthur set everything in motion.” He nodded. “I believe the School of Mines would be the best alternative.” When I didn’t move he said with a slight smile, “You may go now.”

1 comment:

  1. More and more interesting. Trying to wait patiently for more.

    ReplyDelete