Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Prince and I - 23



“You weren’t… I believe the word is ‘out’?” Sadron asked.

I snorted. “My dad’s a Mafia capo. Being gay is definitely frowned on with them, to put it mildly. Besides which I actually love my dad so I wasn’t about to do something to disgrace him. You better believe if I’d told her, my step-mom would have tried to use it in some way against him. He might have loved her but I'm real sure she only married him for the prestige, and his money.”

Arthur frowned. “Is he looking for you?”

“Hell if I know. Maybe. When I split I left a note saying I wanted to be something more than just a capo’s kid. I wanted to make my own life. Hokey but I figured he’d probably buy into that. Now that you know the details can we drop it?”

“One more question.”

I looked at Sadron and grinned. “Another one?”

“Touché.” He chuckled. “That explains why you understand Italian but why Spanish?”

“In Denver, living on the streets, it’s a necessity; Spanish and Spanglish though I’m not too good with either, not like Italian.”

He nodded. “Now we’ve established you’re a survivor, at least in your eyes. However…” Why had I known there’d be an ‘however’? “I am still not going to allow you to be involved in keeping my nephew out of the hands of Aemornion and his compatriots. There’s actually no need to. Connor will not be leaving the house until such time as we return to our homeland.”

“Hang on a minute. You’re going to keep me locked up here like some… some…” Connor said in dismay.

“Damsel in distress,” I muttered.

“I was thinking more a two-year-old who needs baby-sitting,” he countered. “I don’t think I fit the ‘damsel’ definition.”

I grinned at him. “Let your hair grow any longer and you might.”  

“Children!” Sadron glared at us, but I couldn’t help noticing a slight twinkle in his eyes for a moment. “The two of you can debate ages and sex later.”

Connor looked at me, I looked at him, and we broke out laughing. “No debate about the sex part,” Connor sputtered.

“Will the two of you please get serious. I meant it, Connor, you will not be leaving the house. As for you…” Sadron looked dead on at me.

“If I’m locked up here, so is Richie. I’ll go crazy without someone around to keep me company.”

“What about AJ?” Sadron said.

When I looked at him questioningly, Connor told me AJ was Arthur’s son. “He’s nice enough, but he’s old.”

I shook my head. “Says the kid who’s been around for more than twice as long as I have.”

Sadron tapped his fingers together in thought. Finally he said, “Alright, I agree Richie may stay, if he’s willing to.”

I actually had to think about it. Living in a real house, even if it would only be for a short time, was on the plus side. But if I said yes I’d be loosing my freedom, a definite negative. On the other hand I’d be with Connor which was also something in the plus column. I had no illusions there’d be anything more than the ‘friends with benefits’ thing going on, if we could get away with it, but still… “I’ll stay.”

2 comments:

  1. “The two of you can debate ages and sex later.”

    Connor looked at me, I looked at him, and we broke out laughing. “No debate about the sex part,” Connor sputtered.

    LOL! Too funny. Love it. Just got caught up and I STILL want more! Unbelievable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny. There will be more. I promise.

      Delete