Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 29



The drive across the country never happened. As he and Nicky packed, Declan’s cell chimed. He looked at the screen, debated answering, and decided he might as well not put off the inevitable.

“Hello, mother.”

“Where are you? I called your office and was told you had left town. Something about your grandfather and a heart attack.” Her voice rose in pitch with every word. He heard her take a breath before she continued. “Your grandfather, bless his soul, is dead and you know it. How dare you use that as an excuse?”

“I have two grandfathers, mother, in case you’ve forgotten. So far the one in Minneapolis is still alive, not that you give a damn,” he replied icily.

There was a long pause. “You went to see the father of the bastard who donated sperm to create you? How did you even know where to find him? What secrets have you been keeping from me Declan?”

“The same ones you tried to keep from me. Yes I know where he is. I know where my father is as well and I have for the past few years.”

“Don’t you dare try to get in touch with that bastard!”

“Who are you to tell me what I can and can’t do?”

“I’m your mother, young man, the woman who gave birth to you and then brought you up properly so you’d be the fine young man you are today. Don’t you ever forget that! Although at the moment I’m debating just how well I did raise you. You are to get on the next plane home. Do you understand?”

“We’ll be back when we’re ready to come back and not before.”

“We? You took that slut of a man with you? How dare you.”

“Yes he’s with me,” Declan replied, lacing his voice with amusement he didn’t feel.

“Declan…” There was a long silence before she continued. “Your father is arranging for tickets on the next flight home. You had better be on it, and be thankful he’s being generous enough to get two tickets so your slut can come back as well.”

Declan gripped his phone so tightly his knuckles turned white. Keeping his voice at an even keel he said, “Yes, mother,” and then hung up.

“I take it we’re not driving home?” Nicky sighed. “It would have been fun.”

“Someday maybe, but for now we have to go back before I fly apart at the seams.”

One look at the rage limning Declan’s face and Nicky knew why.

No comments:

Post a Comment