Monday, September 9, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 28



“Mr. Hill, you have company,” the orderly announce in a loud, firm voice.

Bryant gave no indication he’d heard the orderly as he sat on the edge of his bed, staring off into space. Declan walked slowly over to him. The woman had been correct; he looked nothing like the picture. He was almost as thin as Declan’s grandfather. Well cared for, it was obvious, but gaunt.

Declan knelt in front of him, looking up into to his vacant eyes. “Father,” he said, resting his hands on top of Bryant’s where they sat on his knees.

There was no response.

“Father, I know you don’t know me. How could you, you didn’t even know I existed. My name is Declan and I’m your son.”

Again, nothing.

Declan sighed deeply. He’d known from the start this was the way it would be but it didn’t make it hurt any the less. Looking over at the orderly he asked, “Does he ever respond to anything?”

Lee Whitney shook his head. “He eats when he’s fed, he sleeps, and he stares. Whatever’s going on inside his head is his secret and he’s not sharing it with anyone, not even the doctors.”

Returning his attention to his father Declan said softly, “I’m living my life the way I think you would have wanted. I’m in the game, just as you were. I only wish…” With a shake of his head he stood. “I know this won’t get through to you, wherever you are in there,” he touched Bryant’s forehead. “But I do love you.”

He watched his father for a long moment, hoping by some miracle his father would acknowledge his words, even if was only to look at him. He didn’t. His eyes remained locked straight ahead.

“Goodbye, father,” Declan said dejectedly before he left the room.

Ignoring the fact the orderly was standing there, Nicky gathered Declan into his arms. “At least you got to see him.”

Declan buried his face in Nicky’s shoulder, his voice muffled as he replied, “I did. I think I hoped by coming here it might make him…react somehow. That I would be important enough he’d…” Declan pulled away angrily. “It…didn’t, I’m not.”

“But you tried, babe and that’s all you could have done. Perhaps somewhere in his fractured mind he did hear your words and understands, even though no one will ever know but him.”

Heaving a sigh, Declan nodded. “Let’s get out of here,” he said abruptly. With one last glance at his father Declan walked swiftly down the hall.

It had stopped raining by the time they left the asylum, although it was still dark and gloomy.

Fitting end Declan thought. Nicky’s right though, at least I tried. He glanced at his lover with a small smile. “I’m glad you came with me.”

Nicky chuckled. “If I remember correctly you practically ordered me to, but I would have anyway. We’re a team through thick and thin, whatever that means.”

“Look it up when we get home. It’s probably some obscure phrase which started out much differently in the original,” Declan told him, glad for the change of subject, such as it was.

“Speaking of getting home, did you happen to remember to make return reservations?”

Declan rolled his eyes. “You do know who you’re asking, right?”

“Yeah, you, the great organizer. So did you?”

“Now that you’ve mentioned it, no, but,” he added quickly, “only because I didn’t know how long we’d be here and, well…”

Nicky laughed, patting Declan’s thigh. “It’s okay, I forgive you. Hey, maybe we can drive back and see a bit of the country?”

Declan nodded. “Maybe. We’ll see.” As he thought about it he decided he rather liked the idea. It would be a way to forget about everything and perhaps enjoy life for once without any distractions other than the man sitting beside him. “Yeah, we’ll just go ahead and do that.” He smiled when Nicky pumped a fist in the air and cheered.

No comments:

Post a Comment