Thursday, September 5, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 26



Declan ran his hand through his hair as he closed his cell. “Damn, damn,” he whispered softly. Nicky was beside him seconds later, asking what was wrong. “My grandfather had a heart attack. They don’t expect him to live more than a day or two, if that.” He jumped to his feet, opening his cell again. “Go get packed, we’re heading to back there. I want to say my goodbye’s to him, even if he has no clue who I am.”

“What about your job? Aren’t they going to be upset, you’re taking off on such short notice?”

Declan shook his head. “I’ll let them know why, so it shouldn’t be a problem.” He paused long enough to make plane reservations then let Nicky know they had two hours to get to the airport.

“That was fast.”

“The only real perk to who my stepfather is, I tossed out his name and they jumped through hoops to get us on the next plane out.”

They hurried to the bedroom to get ready. As it was too early for anyone to be at the office yet, Declan left a message explaining what was going on. By the time they were dressed and packed the cab Declan had ordered was downstairs waiting for them.

* * * *

It wasn’t until they stepped off the plane in Minneapolis that Declan actually showed any emotion other than worrying if they’d be in time. He had a feeling Nicky found it strange but he didn’t give a damn. They didn’t need to stop to pick up their luggage as they’d each packed only one carry-on bag, so they were able to get out of the airport and into the heart of the city quickly. Declan picked the first decent hotel he saw, got them a room, and when they’d tossed their bags on the beds he called the nursing home.  

“He’s at the hospital, of course,” Declan told Nicky after he’d hung up. “The administrator agreed to tell the people there I was a relative so I could get in to see him.”

Nicky frowned as he followed Declan back to the elevator. “They don’t know?”

“No. I never told them. I…didn’t want questions. I just let them think I was a nice kid who was concerned about a man I’d found wandering in the cemetery one day. As far as they knew he had no family other than my father.” Declan smiled sadly. “And father was in no condition to visit him.”

When they arrived at the hospital, the nurse made Nicky stay in the waiting room while she took Declan to his grandfather’s room.

“I’m afraid he won’t recognize you,” she said as she held the door open for him.

“I understand.” He walked to stand at the side of the bed, looking down at Gerard. “He’s so…so thin,” he murmured. When the nurse didn’t reply he turned and realized she’d left, closing the door silently behind her.

Declan pulled the only chair up to the bed and sat, taking Gerard’s emaciated hand in his. “I’m sorry I never got to know you,” he whispered. “I’m carrying on with the game though, grandfather, following in your footsteps. Maybe a bit differently but I’m still doing it for the right reasons, just as you and father did.”

For a second he thought his grandfather’s hand moved in his. He squeezed it gently but there was no response.

“I love you, grandfather. You’re all I had left, you and father.” He sighed deeply. “I wish… I wish I could visit him, see him just once.”

“Go…”

The word was a bare whisper, so soft Declan wasn’t certain his grandfather had even spoken it. “You want me to go see him?”

Gerard’s eyelids fluttered once.

Declan straightened then stood. He bent to kiss his grandfather’s withered cheek. “I will, I promise.”

He walked slowly from the room, stopping at the door to look back at his grandfather. “I’ll go tomorrow. I promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment