Thursday, August 8, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 12



“Where did you disappear to last night,” Delores asked, anger filling her voice.

Declan debated hanging up on her. Instead, knowing the futility of doing so because she'd just call back, he replied, “I had an appointment.”

“At eleven on a Friday night? Declan do not lie to me. You went to see that slut.”

“Actually mother, I didn’t go to see him.” Semantics, but hopefully what he said would get her to back off.

“So you say. If you feel you have to be with someone couldn’t you at least make it a woman?”

Declan snorted softly. “Look at it this way mother, at least with a man I won’t end up getting them pregnant. No unwanted children will be created.”

“Declan Bryant Hill, how dare you. If you’re implying I didn’t want you…” She huffed angrily.

He remained silent on that subject, asking instead, “Did I actually miss anything important after I left?”

His mother sighed in frustration. “Of course you did. You missed out on meeting more people who could help advance your career.”

“Mother, my career is going just as I want it to.”

“I disagree. You’re lacking in ambition, Declan. If you put your mind to it you could be just like your father, well-known and well-to-do.”

Declan bit back a laugh. If his mother only knew exactly how much like his real father he really was she’d have an instant heart attack. For a brief second he actually wondered if telling her really would kill her, then thrust the thought aside. She was too cold and insensitive for something of that ilk to faze her. She’d undoubtedly try to figure a way to make it work to her advantage.  

“If you’re quite finished with me, mother,” he said, hoping she’d take the hint.

“For the moment, however I expect you here for lunch tomorrow, on time if you would for once. The Quinlans are coming to join us.”

Oh hell, another attempt to mate me up with some inane debutant.

“I’ll be there with bells on,” he promised. He heard Nicky snicker in the background and turned to grin at him while saying to his mother, “I’ll see you then.” He hung up then beckoned for Nicky to come over.

Nicky shook his head as he joined him, saying, “Better thee than me, babe.”

“Hey, any time you want to trade parents I’m up for it.”

“Not even if Hell froze over. Now, can we get out of here and go get some food?”

“You bet. I’m starving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment