Friday, June 7, 2013

The family that preys together…- 39



Kent opened the door to the apartment to find Crispin standing there. Looking past him he saw a cab pulling away. “Come on in,” he said, stepping back. “Car trouble?” he asked a moment later.

“Brother trouble,“ Crispin grumbled. “We came into town together then he changed his plans and wanted to go back. So I gave him the car keys and grabbed a cab.”

Kent couldn’t say he was unhappy about that because it meant there was at least a slim possibility that he could convince Crispin to spend the night again, if Rick cooperated and vanished to his lady friend’s place. But that was for later. For now he asked if Crispin wanted to head to the movie and eat later or visa versa.

“Food sounds good. Is there some place decent near the theater?”

“Olive Garden,” Kent told him, trying not to laugh.

“That we will pass on thank you very much.”

“Well darn, and here I had my heart set on…” Kent ducked when Crispin took a playful swipe at him. “Kidding, kidding. And yes, there is a nice place about a block from the theater.”

“Then grab your jacket and let’s get a move on. Is it close enough to walk?”

“Actually, yes. Most of the places I hang out at are. I told you, I don’t really like driving if I can help it.”

“Smart move,” Crispin agreed, thinking back on the fools he and Bryant had been watching just a few hours ago.

Kent saw Crispin’s face darken for a moment and asked, “Is something wrong?”

“Oh no.” Crispin smiled, patting Kent’s shoulder, “Nothing that won’t be cured by a decent meal and good companionship.”

“The meal I can guarantee. The companionship, well I’ll try to make it good.”

“I don’t think you’ll have any problem with that at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment