Saturday, January 26, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 17



“Manny, wake up, you’re having a bad dream.” Hamlin gathered his lover into his arms to still him.

It took Manny a moment to realize where he was. Then he sighed in relief as the nightmare dissipated. “Sorry,” he muttered. “Didn’t mean to wake you.”

“It’s alright. It’s about time for us to get up anyway. I have a dog to walk, and you’ve got things to do too.”

After a glance at the clock, Manny frowned. “It’s that late already? Shit. Why are you still here?”

“Excuse me? I live here now in case you’ve forgotten. Okay, so it’s only been for one day, but still—“

“My bad. Damn, I’m loosing it, I swear.”

Hamlin kissed the nape of Manny’s neck, and then when Manny turned in his arms, he planted one on his mouth before saying, “You’re stressed, not loosing it.”

“The stress you took care of earlier this morning.” Manny smiled as he returned the kiss.

“Just the physical, not the mental. I wish to hell you knew which one of them—“

“I don’t even know if it was one of them. I could be barking up the wrong tree. And speaking of barking, there’s a puppy that’ll be doing that or worse if we don’t get moving.”

“Our lives are ruled by a dog,” Hamlin grumbled as he sat up and got out of bed.

“Could be worse, it could be a gryphon. Come to think about it, it is.”

Hamlin shot him a puzzled look as he headed to the bathroom. “Gryphon?”

“Oh, yeah, something I forgot to mention,” Manny said as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. “Mijn commandant here in the city is a gryphon. And my other one is a Witte Wieven.” He laughed at the look on Hamlin’s face. “I’ll explain later.”

“You better,” Hamlin growled as he closed the bathroom door.

An hour later, Hamlin was looking at Manny in disbelief as they rode the subway downtown to the Village. “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“Very. All commandants are shape-shifting mythical creatures.” He stopped when he realized the woman next to him had heard him. “And that’s the idea behind the book,” he continued as if that’s what he and Hamlin had been talking about.

Hamlin caught on immediately. “Do it right and it could be a best seller. Supernatural stuff is popular now.”

“That’s what I’m hoping, me and my agent.”

“Well you’re not going to have an agent if we miss our stop and you miss your appointment,” Hamlin said pointedly as they approached their station.

“True.” Manny jumped to his feet, quickly followed by Hamlin. “Thanks,” he said softly, his words almost overwhelmed by the screech of the train coming to a stop.

“Any time, mijn liefde.”

Manny grinned. “You’re learning my language.”

“Two words are hardly learning,” Hamlin retorted as they stepped onto the platform.

“But it’s a start.”

No comments:

Post a Comment