Monday, December 10, 2012

Scriostóir - 21



Godric’s first thought when Manny said they needed to talk was that the young man was about to come on to him. He steeled himself, trying to think of some way to turn him down without hurting his feelings.

Manny must have seen something in Godric’s face because he took a step backwards, shaking his head. “This is not what you’re thinking. We’re friends and I want nothing beyond that. Although—” He paused, a flurry of emotions crossing his face.

“Although what, Manny?” Godric asked when the silence stretched uncomfortably.

“There are things I need to tell you and I want you to promise not to say anything until I’ve finished. Can you do that?”

Godric nodded slowly, wondering where this was leading.

“To begin with, Manny is my name, just not—my full one. Officially I was baptized Manfred Van der Venne, in 1497 A.D. I died in 1515, a traitor to my country although I saw myself as a rebel. Others, needless to say, did not.” As he spoke, Manny watched Godric carefully. “I made a choice, just as you did. However my offer came from the Rialóir Deiridh.”

“Caomhnóir,” Godric said quietly, uncertain if he was angry or relieved.

“I am,” Manny replied, lifting a hand to stop Godric from saying more at the moment. “I was asked by mijn commandant to infiltrate the ranks of Cerdic’s boys since I look young enough to be one. I’ve been with him for three years, passing on the information I’ve gathered not only to him but to mijn commandant as well. That way we stand a chance of foiling at least some of Cerdic’s plots.”

“Why are you telling me this? I’m presuming, from the fact that you are, that you know what I am and must have for a while now.”

“Mijn vijand, my enemy. And yes, I knew from the beginning. Sometimes, very rarely, Caomhnóir and Scriostóir work together against a common foe within their ranks, in this case Cerdic.” Manny smiled slightly. “I gather that he’s made at least one formidable enemy within your order. Two, if I count you.”

Godric returned Manny’s small smile with one of his own. “In my case I’m only looking for revenge. When he’s dead I’ll go back to my duties as any good Scriostóir would.”

“And I’ll continue to be a loyal Caomhnóir. Until then however I suggest we join forces and eliminate Cerdic once and for all.”

“The enemy of my enemy is my friend,” Godric replied a bit sardonically. “None the less, I accept your offer of help.”

No comments:

Post a Comment