Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Thief and the White Knight - 2


"Pia, I've got a temp job for you," the voice on the other end of the phone said.

"Oh wonderful. Do I want to know what?"

She did actually, as she was running low on cash. Clerking at the local department store kept her in food, clothes and shelter but left her little for the finer things in life like books and good CDs for her player. She listened as he spelled out what he needed, coding his words as always to make it sound like a legitimate job. While he did, she took notes that would be safely disposed of as soon as she'd committed the details to memory.

When he had finished she said, "You know I'm going to have to brush up on my skills with that particular program. It's going to take me a couple of days just to get the lay of the land so to speak." She nodded at his response. "Alright, I'll be in contact as soon as the job's completed."

Hanging up, she booted up her computer to search for basic information on her target. She knew about the Galleria. She had even, in her younger days, contemplated seeing if she could figure out how to get in and out just to practice her skills, but she never once thought someone would hire her to break into it.

As she ran through the pages on the Galleria's website she had to give them kudos for being smart enough not to show the shop itself. She drooled over some of the jewelry but knew better than even think about picking up a piece or two while she was there. After all, wearing it would be like advertising that she was the one who had stolen it, and what was the fun of having it if you couldn't flaunt it.

Finishing with that site, she preceded on to one that would give her the architectural and design specs of the building that housed the Galleria. From there she dug deeper, going into a well-secured site which held the blueprints used by the company responsible for the original renovations on suite of rooms housing the Galleria. She printed out the information she needed and then closed down, turning off the computer.

After getting ready for bed, she slid under the covers and began studying the plans. She had found that just before falling asleep was the best time to memorize details. Finally, folding the sheets of paper and sliding them under her pillow, she turned off the light and fell into dreamless sleep.

* * * *

One final curtain call and the lights dimmed to black, much to Kerry's relief. He'd been off tonight; not badly enough that the audience had picked up on it, but the other cast members had.

As he headed back to the dressing room his co-star hurried to catch up with him. She linked her arm in his to stop him, asking, "Is something wrong?"

"Naw. Just one of those nights when everything seems a half step to the left."

"It's the moon, it's full," she replied very seriously, and then laughed at the look on his face. "Just teasing you."

"Hell, for all I know it could be. I've been restless all day."

"You need to get laid."

"Marcia, you did not just say that."

"Humm, yes, I think I did. But before you do that you have to go out and find a nice young woman. It's hard getting laid without one."

"Does she have to be nice," he asked, playing along.

"Only if you want to see her more than once. Honestly though Kerry, you're probably the only actor I know who doesn't flit from female to female, and God knows they're out there hoping you will."

"Yeah, well that's just not my thing. I go to the bars or to parties and—Hell, I don't know, either I need to brush up on my flirting techniques, which I know suck, or I'm just not ready for a relationship or—" he shrugged.

"Or the right woman hasn't crossed your path. I know it took forever for me to find the right one." When his eyebrows shot up, she realized what she'd said. "I mean the right man. Don't go getting the wrong idea there mister."

"I knew what you meant," he told her with a laugh. "So go change and head home to your 'Mister Right', and I'll—do something. I have a pile of books waiting for me."

"Romances to inspire you?" she asked, waggling her eyebrows.

"No, smarty, serious stuff, Connelly, Morrell, the usual."

"Macho male reads, got it. Okay, have fun, dream of saving the delicate heroine from the wicked spy-master and I'll see you tomorrow night."

"Some how I don't think the 'delicate heroine' needs me saving her," he muttered under his breath when Marcia was out of earshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment