Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Families are messy - 8


Casey jumped when he felt someone tap his shoulder. He opened his eyes to see Marcia standing beside him, her derrière resting on the back of the seat in front of him.

“You slept through my audition,” she said with a pout that turned to a smile seconds later.

“No. I slept after it,” he told her, returning the smile. “And, as a very partial observer. I think you should be a shoo-in for the role.”

“Thanks. I hope the director feels the same way but I won’t know for a couple of days one way or the other.” She finally sat down next to him, putting her legs up on the row in front of them. “You look like death warmed over, if you don’t mind my saying so. Rough day?”

“Rough night actually. I didn’t get much sleep.”

“Then why are you here and not home in bed?”

“Because I promised I would be.”

“You didn’t have to. I mean you hardly know me.”

“A fact that I’d like to change,” he said just before a yawn took over.

Marcia laughed. “I think that was your brain telling you to stop talking before you get yourself into trouble.”

“So getting to know you would get me into trouble?” he asked, one eyebrow rising in disbelief.

“Well, I would hope not, unless you’re so tired you fall asleep at the wheel going home because you came here first.” She patted his arm. “Why are you tired? Out partying on a Thursday night?”

“I wish. Well, not really but it would have been better than almost getting shoved in front of a car. I had nightmares about that afterwards.”

“You what?! Are you serious?”

Casey nodded. “I don’t think it was on purpose. I think someone stumbled or something then reached out to stop from falling and ended up shoving me into the street.” He shook his head. “The only thing that pisses me off is they didn’t stick around to apologize.”

“Now if I were writing a mystery that would have been the first in several attempts to kill you and make it look like an accident,” she said, smiling slightly.

“Second.”

“What?” She looked at him in shock.

“Just kidding.” Casey shrugged. “Last weekend while I was up at my cabin some damned fool hunter took a shot at me. Well not me per se. I suspect he though either I or Duke was some animal. Luckily I moved or he’d have hit me.”

“Whoa. Are you serious?” Marcia looked at him as if trying to decipher whether he was pulling her leg for some reason.

“Quite. But before you think something’s going on no one hates me.” He smiled a bit sourly. “Well except for my soon to be ex.”

“That you know of.”

“Marcia, come on, you’re letting that imagination of yours run away with you.”

“I’m good at that,” she admitted. “But it doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” 

“No, but it doesn’t mean your right either.” Casey stretched, and yawned again.

“Alright, I think it’s time to call it a night. Besides they’re going to kick us out of here any second now anyway.” She got up, waiting for him to join her, and then they walked to the theater’s lobby. A man stood at the door as if waiting for them. He smiled at Marcia, telling her they’d be in touch with her soon.

“Yes!” she whispered to Casey after the man let them out. “Maybe, just maybe...“

“Sounds promising to me. Where are you parked?”

“In the side lot.”

“Good, me too.”

They strolled around the corner to find theirs were two of the few remaining cars in the lot. “So is yours the Ferrari or the MG,” he asked.

“Try the battered Chevy. I’m so not the fancy-yancy car type. If it runs I’m good. I bet yours it that big, maroon SUV.”

“You got it.” He followed her as she crossed the lot to her car. When she opened the door he asked, hesitantly, “Are you busy tomorrow night?”

“I’m afraid so. There’s a big party that I have to work.”

“Oh. Alright.”

“But I’m free Sunday.”

“Oh!” His face lit up. “Would you like to take in a movie or something?” He shook his head. “I’m really out of practice at this.”

“You’re doing just fine, and I’d love to go to a movie. Call me and we’ll figure out which one and all that.”

“Sure, if you give me your number.”

“Oh gee, yeah that would help.” She took a pen and a slip of paper from her purse, writing it down. “Just don’t call before noon. I’m a real grump ‘til I’ve had my coffee and read the Sunday funnies.”

“I promise I won’t,” he replied with a chuckle. 

* * * *

Okay folks, an announcement of sorts.

At It’s Raining Men we’re going back to doing the Saturday Shouts for books about to be released. If you send me the cover picture of your book, by the Friday of the week it’s due out, we’ll post it on IRM that Saturday. Email the pictures (in jpeg format) to edward_kendrick_001@yahoo.com  It’s as simple as that. – E.

No comments:

Post a Comment