Saturday, March 24, 2012

Families are messy - 14


Casey’s first thought when he saw the building was Pure B movie His second was, But if he’s as good as it sounds like he is I can deal with the ambiance.
 
As he walked into the private investigator’s office a few minutes later he stopped in surprise. A young man was sitting cross-legged, his eyes closed, in the middle of what Casey presumed was the receptionist’s desk. Casey coughed softly, gaining the man’s attention as his eyes flew open.

“Sorry about that. May I help you?”

“Perhaps. I hesitate to ask but are you Ezra Fairchild?”

“No,” the man said, laughing. “I’m just a friend of his. Hang on; I’ll let him know you’re here.” He jumped off the desk, holding out his hand. “I’m Gabe the way, and you are?”

“Casey Rothem. I have an appointment.”

Gabe disappeared into the next room, returning a moment later to say, “He said to go on in.”

As Casey did at blonde-haired man somewhat in need of a shave looked over and then stood, offering his hand. “Mr. Rothem, nice to meet you, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Casey looked surprised as he shook Fairchild’s hand. “I didn’t know there was that much to hear about.”

Fairchild nodded to the chair beside his desk then sat after Casey had. “Actually that was a slight exaggeration in that I all I knew about you when you called was that you own a very upscale jewelry shop. After we made this appointment I did a bit of homework.”

“That should have been interesting, if you’re into stock reports and social gossip.”

Fairchild leaned back, interlacing his fingers, tapping two of them against his lips. “Actually, it was very interesting. Twenty-seven and already independently wealthy, parents dead in a small plane crash, married but in the process of a divorce, two sisters and one brother, all rich enough to live the good life though not as well off as you are according to a cursory search. So, getting down to business, exactly why do you need my services?”

Casey took a deep breath and said, “I think someone’s trying to kill me.”

“Okay.” If Fairchild was surprised he hid it well. “How about you tell me why you think that then we’ll decide if there’s any basis for your suspicions.”

So, slowly and in as much detail as he could, Casey laid the facts out for him.

When Casey finished talking Fairchild remained silent for a few minutes as he read over the notes he’d taken. Finally he said, “Hate to say it, but from the sound of it someone doesn’t like you. Or perhaps they like your money more.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Casey admitted with a sigh. “But they’re all in good shape financially. Hell even my soon to be ex won’t be hurting once the divorce becomes final.”

Fairchild tapped his fingers together. “If you want me to start investigating I’ll let you know right off that I’m going to be digging into you family members’ finances and going over everything with a fine toothed comb. I need to find out if any of them is having money problems that you don’t know about.”

Casey nodded. “Best place to start, I know that. Damn it, I don’t want to find out that one of them would be willing to kill me just to get some of my money. They could just ask to borrow some.”

“And you’d let them?”

“Well, maybe, depending on who it is I suppose. My sister’s and I don’t get along all that well but still they are family.”

“Question, if you were to die who stands to inherit?”

With a small chuckle Casey admitted that at the moment Kathy would get half his estate and the others would share the rest. “I keep putting off going to sign my new will,” he told Fairchild. “And before you read anything into that it’s just that I’ve been busy, nothing more.”

“And once you sign it your siblings will split everything three ways?”

“With the exception of a few small bequests, yes.”

“Your business as well?”

“Yes and no. Thomas will get fifty-one percent of it, and again they split the rest.”

“Thomas is?”

“My manager. He might as well be a partner but,” Casey shrugged, “I tend to be somewhat of a control freak where the business is concerned.”

“Since it’s your company I can understand that. Is there anything else I should know about at this point?”

“Not that I can think of. So how does this work? I’ve never needed a private investigator before. All I know about them is what I’ve learned from the movies.”

Fairchild snorted. “Trust me I’m nothing like those guys. What happens is you fill out some forms, sign a contract and give me a retainer.” Fairchild laid out his prices and Casey agreed to them. Once the contract was signed and a check written he stood, thanking Fairchild.

“I’ll keep in touch,” Fairchild told him, “and send you weekly reports as per the contract; more often if needed.”

“Thanks.” With a slight smile as he headed for the door he said, “I honestly hope that you find out the Mob’s after me for some reason. It would be easier to accept than my family.”

“If I do I’ll let you know,” Fairchild replied with a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment