Saturday, March 17, 2012

Families are messy - 10


The rest of the evening was quite pleasant as far as Casey was concerned, once Marcia dropped her attempt at sleuthing. The only sour note was running into his older sister when they were on their way back to his car.

Alma was coming out of a very up-scale restaurant with her husband. She took one look at Casey with Marcia and stalked over to stand in front of him, looking first at him and then Marcia, eyebrows drawn together in a fierce frown.

“So you’re hardly moved out of your home and already seeing other women?”

“If it’s any of your business,” Casey replied, “I’m not seeing other women. Marcia is a friend. I am allowed to have them aren’t I?”

“You are still married, in case you’ve forgotten that. Just because you and Kathy are having a little spat doesn’t give you the right to step out on her with...“ she looked Marcia up and down, “a blonde floozy.”

“Now just a minute,” Marcia said before Casey could rush to her defense, “I’m blonde, yes, but I am far from being a floozy. I’m an honest working girl and...“

“Working girl?” Alma’s shot Casey an ‘I told you so’ look. “Exactly what I said, a floozy.”

“Hang on there, Alma, that’s not what she meant and you know it. She’s a waitress for one of the best catering companies in the city, and an actress.”

“Pfft. Then she’s hardly up to our standards. Go back to your wife, Casey. Apologize, on bended knee if necessary, and be a proper husband to her.”

Casey clamped his lips together before he said something he shouldn’t. He was relieved when her husband finally came over to tell her they needed to get home before the babysitter decided to charge them overtime.

‘I’ll call you tomorrow and we’ll talk more,” Alma stated acidly as her husband led her away.

“I can’t wait,” Casey muttered as he turned to look at Marcia. “I’m sorry; you shouldn’t have had to deal with that.”

“It’s alright.” She linked her arm with his as they finally continued on to where he’d parked. “I love being called a floozy by a self-important, excuse the expression, bitch. I know she’s your sister but honestly if someone needs to be murdered I’d choose her over you any day.”

Casey laughed. “So if she ends up under a car I’ll know who to point the finger at.”

“No, I think I’d be a bit more direct. A knife to the heart, if she actually has one. And damn I shouldn’t be talking about her this way, I’m sorry.”

“Nothing to be sorry about. She engenders those feelings in a lot of people.” Glancing at his watch he said, “I should get you home. Morning comes early in these parts.”

“I think it comes the same time everywhere if you want to get technical. But yes, we do need to end what was a lovely day all in all. I’ve had fun.”

Casey smiled at her, touching her cheek for a brief second before pulling his hand back. “Me too, for the first time in a long time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment