Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Writer and the Ghosts - 7


“Okay. Well it’s like this, Linc.” Damian began. “You’re lonely. You never really go anywhere that we can tell. You need to find someone. We’re going to help.”

Linc looked at them in shock then threw back his head and laughed.

“Now what’s so funny about that?” Damian sounded insulted.

“First off,” Linc replied when he gained control again, “who says I want someone and secondly how are two ghosts going to manage to help me find someone even if I did? I suspect neither of you can leave the house if all the stories I’ve read are true.”

“You do have a point there, so I guess we’ll have to have a talk with your folks. Maybe suggest they throw a party. Humm,” Giorgio tapped a finger to his lips. “A housewarming party to get to know the neighbors should work.”

“Now just a damned minute, first off you do not talk to my folks, you’d probably give them heart attacks. Secondly I detest parties.”

Giorgio smirked. “Too bad, because one way or another there’s going to be one and it’s going to be your idea as far as your family’s concerned. We can be sneaky little devils when we put our minds to it.”

“No way! Besides, aren’t you two supposed to be, I don’t know, finding out who killed you so you can move on or something like that?”

“I know how I died,” Damian said quietly. “And I know why I’m still here.” He smiled his ‘Thanks’ when Giorgio gave his hand a squeeze. “But that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. What sorts of parties do you like, Linc, ones with food, drinks, snacks, dancing?”

“Ones with no people,” Linc replied with an exaggerated eye role. “Told you that.”

“Can’t be a party without people you ding-bat,” Giorgio told him.

“Exactly.” Linc got up to go to his computer. “So, just vanish, literally, so I can get back to work. Please?”

Giorgio looked at Damian, Damian looked back, and they both shook their heads. “Not happening, Linc. We’re determined little ghosts. What we want, we get, and you are our project de jour.”

“He’s bored, and restless, Linc, so don’t argue with him,” Damian said wickedly. “Never works for me so I doubt it’ll work for you.”

When Linc started typing, his back to them now, Giorgio shook his head. “Check it out, he’s ignoring us. I think I’m insulted.”

“Guess I just have to go talk to his mother. I bet she’d love an excuse to throw a party.” Damian started to slowly fade away.

“Have at it,” Giorgio told him. “I’ll take his father. I’d hazard a guess that between us there’ll be a party here this weekend.”

“Stop, both of you,” Linc growled as he spun around. “Stop him.” He pointed to Damian who was almost invisible by then.

“Well, I don’t know…”

“Come on, have a heart. Don’t do this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment