Friday, July 15, 2011

Mario - A Story - 26


The moment they pulled up in front of Maria’s house Wil was on the stoop. He dashed to the car and wrapped his arms around Mario the second he opened the car door. Mario hugged him tightly as he got out, telling him he was fine, that everything was fine.

“Is it?” Maria asked Tate in a low, worried voice as she joined them.

“Seems to be,” he replied. He watched Mario and Wil as Wil told his father everything that had happened in school and afterwards.

Then Wil said very seriously, almost as an afterthought, “Jonah’s dead, he was killed.”

Mario shot an angry look at Maria even as he told Wil, “Yes, I’m afraid he was. I’m sorry.”

“I’m not,” Wil told him, still quite serious. “He hurt you so I’m glad.”

“Yes he did, but that doesn’t mean you should be glad he’s dead.” Mario walked him over to the stoop and sat down, Wil in his lap. “He wasn’t a very nice man I’m afraid, but you should never, ever be happy when a person is killed no matter how bad they are. Once they’re dead they never have a chance to try to change and become better. Jonah had…problems and he got very angry and did some things he might have regretted if he’d had the chance to. Now he won’t be able to make amends, to me or to you, and that is sad.” He stroked Wil’s hair and asked, “Do you understand?”

Wil shook his head, then changed his mind and nodded. “I think so. I should say I’m sad he’s dead, even if I’m not.”

“No,” Mario replied with a smile. “You should always be honest about how you feel.” Mario frowned as he tried to figure out how to explain this so a five-year-old would understand. “But there are times when it’s better to keep your feelings to yourself, especially if you think that saying them out loud could hurt someone else.”

“It didn’t hurt you daddy, did it?” Wil asked with a worried look.

“No, it didn’t because I knew what you meant and why.” Mario kissed his forehead. “With me you can always say exactly what you mean. Even if I get angry, and sometimes I might, it’ll pass in a minute I promise.”

“You too,” Wil told him with a nod of his head. “Cause we love each other.”

“Yes, Wil, because we love each other.”

“Good. Now can I go play?”

Mario laughed and hugged him. “Yes, now you can go play.”

* * * *

Once Wil had disappeared into the house Mario looked at Maria. “Did you tell him? And no I’m not upset, not any more.”

She shook her head. “It was on the news. I thought he was in the bedroom with the kids so of course I watched. He came in to ask for something and saw it. I’m sorry. I was going to explain to him but the brats came in just then demanding supper and well…”

“Hey, it’s not your fault. I think in grand scheme of things it worked out better this way.”

“Tate says you and he are off the hook now, thank goodness.”

“Seems like, according to our lawyer.” Mario smiled at Tate as he sat down beside him. “So now I can concentrate on the important things, like getting Wil home and to bed. And for that I’ll need a ride, if you don’t mind, Tate.”

Tate shook his head. “Of course I don’t. Go gather him up.”

As soon as Mario went inside Maria asked, “Now what?”

With a cocked eyebrow Tate replied, “Now what what?”

“I was watching you watching Mario. I think you care for him.”

“I do.”

“So?”

“Slow and easy?”

“Good.” She patted his shoulder. “The best way all things considered.”

“So that’s a vote of approval?”

“Unless I find out you’re a psycho bastard like Jonah, yes it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment