Friday, July 8, 2011

Mario - A Story - 22


Wanting more privacy than he knew he’d get in the break room Mario took off his apron then hurried out to where Tate still sat.

“How long do you have?” Tate asked.

“Half an hour.”

“Good, come on.” Tate led the way out the front door, cautioning, “Don’t be surprised if there’s someone watching us.”

Mario shivered as he kept pace with Tate. As if it were the most natural thing in the world for them Tate put his arm around Mario’s shoulders. “There’s a pocket park with a bench in the next block.”

For a second it seemed Mario would pull away, but he didn’t. “I know, I take my lunch over there sometimes to get away.”

When they got there the bench was vacant. Once they were seated Mario asked, “How much trouble are we in, for real?”

“Honestly it depends on what they find in your car. As I said there can’t be anything legit that says I was in it. However, if the killer ‘borrowed’ it there could be evidence that Jonah was there.”

“Damn.” Mario ran his hands through his hair.

“Look, I know a lawyer, a good one, if it comes down to it. I do work for him on occasion. I’m sure he’ll be willing to help.”

“That’s a scary thought, that I’ll need one.” He turned his head to look at Tate. “Who…did they say who the witness was?”

“No, but then I didn’t ask either, not that they’d have told me.” Tate put one hand on Mario’s back rubbing it gently. He could feel the tension in his muscles and said, “Try to relax. Remember what I said about ulcers.”

Mario nodded. “That feels good.”

“Turn around; I’ll give you a real back massage.” When Mario hesitated Tate chuckled. “It’s just a massage. Pretend I’m your Aunt Sophie.”

With a snort, and the comment that he didn’t have an Aunt Sophie and even if he did Tate would hardly fit the description, Mario turned his back to Tate. As Tate set to work Mario groaned softly. Slowly Tate could feel him relax. “Better?” he asked.

“Oh yeah,” Mario said wholeheartedly. “Thank you.”

“Think nothing of it.” Tate was sorely tempted to pull Mario back against his chest and just hold him for a moment, or better yet kiss him. Instead he stood up and offered his hand. “We should probably get you back. I don’t want you loosing your job.”

Mario took his hand and let him pull him to his feet. “We probably should,” he sighed.

Tate put his hands on Mario’s shoulders. “Look at me.” When Mario did, Tate said softly, “We are going to get through this. Keep telling yourself that. We will.”

“I’ll try.” Mario shivered and suddenly found himself wrapped in a tight embrace.

“No,” Tate said firmly, “You will believe it because it’s true.”

Mario tried to smile. “Is that an order?”  

“Damned straight.” Tate released his hold but kept one arm around his shoulders. “Now, let’s get back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment