Monday, July 19, 2021

Every House Has a Secret - 32

 


 

Rand glanced at Brady, who nodded, then said to Colin, "You're right, we did buy your grandfather's house. It's in bad shape, but—" Rand pointed a finger at him, "—I think you know that already. We're restoring it and in the process we found something." He stared hard at Colin. "Something I think you and your brother were looking for."

 

"The gun." Colin looked as if he regretted saying that the moment the words were out of his mouth.

 

"Yes," Brady replied before Rand could. "You found out about it, somehow, and… Well, I don't know why you want it, but you do."

 

"To clear my grandfather of the deaths of the men who killed my grandmother. Before you say anything, I know he was never accused of that, but if anyone found the gun he would have been."

 

"You sound as if you're certain it wasn't him," Rand said.

 

Colin took a deep breath. "Can we meet at my house tonight? I have something I need to show you."

 

"What?"

 

"I'd rather not say right now."

 

Rand nodded. "What time?"

 

"We close at nine, so nine-thirty?"

 

"All right. Can you recommend a decent motel? I've got the feeling whatever you want us to see, and talk about afterward, will take time."

 

"It probably will," Colin admitted. He gave them the name of a motel he said wasn't too far from where he lived.

 

"We'll see you tonight."

 

Colin nodded as he got up. Rand and Brady followed him into the main room of the bookstore.

 

When Rand stopped to look at one of the shelves, Brady chuckled. "Have at it. We've got a few hours to kill. Just don't buy the place out."

 

Rand didn't, although he did pick up a book that interested him. Then they went in search of the motel, and dinner afterward. They agreed not to speculate on what Colin had to show them, figuring they'd be way off base, not matter what.

 

At nine-thirty, they were parking in front of a small house in a residential neighborhood of the city. Colin opened the door as they walked up the path, ushering them into the living room as soon as they were inside.

 

Once they were seated, Rand and Brady on the sofa, Colin in an armchair across from them, Colin picked up a folder from the side table. "Before Ethan Barrett died, he made out his will. One of the provisos in it was that I, because I'm older than my brother, would get this when I turned twenty-one. His lawyer sent it to me via priority mail and I had to sign for it, which tells you how important it is." He smiled grimly. "Or how important his lawyer though it was. He was right."

 

"What is it?" Brady asked.

 

"Ethan's confession.," Colin replied. "He murdered the two men who killed my grandmother, then tried to frame my grandfather by planting the gun in his house."

 

"Damn," Rand said softly.

 

Brady nodded. "The second part of his plan obviously didn't work."

 

"It didn't," Colin agreed, handing Brand the folder. On the cover was written, in a crabbed hand, 'For Colin Norman Hodges only. Colin, I hope you use discretion once you have read this and keep it to yourself. It could harm too many people if you don't."

4 comments: