Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 50

 


Brent called Walt Monday morning, asking him to have talk with Mr. Garey about the two men who were with him the afternoon they beat-up Cody. Walt said he would, promising to call if he got any information. He did, later the same day.

"Garey finally let loose with names for his two buddies. Cody's father picked some real winners to do his dirty work. The good news is, neither of them is here in the city now. One is downstate, serving time for armed robbery."

"Serves him right," Brent muttered.

"Yeah. He won't be out for a long time. According to Garey, John Temple, the second man, is back east somewhere. He thinks either Philly or Baltimore but that was a couple of years ago. I ran a check on the guy and he's no winner either, with a rap sheet as long as your arm—mainly for petty crimes."

"You're certain he's not back here again?"

"Garey says he isn't. He and Temple grew up together, so whenever Temple comes to town, he gets in touch with Garey. I think you can tell Cody he's got nothing to worry about on that front." Walt chuckled. "Now hooking up with you is another story."

"Hey! Besides which, what makes you think we're more than just friends?"

"Because he's the first man I've ever seen you take a really personal interest in. Sure, maybe in the beginning he was just a client. But if that was the case, you'd have been out of his life the second I told you he was no longer a suspect in his mother's murder. No, Brent, my best guess is you and he are well on your way to being a couple."

"Okay, I'll admit we're definitely working on it."

"Good. It's about time you settled down and had a life outside of work. And it's time I got back to work."

As soon as he hung up, after thanking Walt for all his help, Brent called Cody to relay the information. Cody was obviously relieved, but from the tone of his voice, there was something else going on with him. When Brent asked, all Cody would say was he'd tell him after dinner.

"I'm coming for dinner?" Brent asked with amusement.

"Yes. Well… Please?"

"I can't think of a better way to end the day," Brent replied. "Around six?"

"Perfect. I'll see you then. Love you."

"Love you too."

Almost the second Brent stepped onto the porch at Cody's house two hours later, the door opened.

Brent grinned. "Don't tell me you were watching for me."

"I won't, but I was," Cody replied, grabbing Brent's hand to tug him inside. He immediately kissed him, getting one in return, of course. "Dinner's ready."

Sniffing, Brent said, "Italian?"

"Nope, I'm English on Mother's side and…"

Brent put a finger to Cody's lips. "You're also being silly. What's going on?"

"I finished it!"

"Hot damn!" Brent hugged him hard, knowing he meant the book. "When do I get to read it?"

"Technically, not until it's published. But since it's you…" Cody grinned, taking Brent's hand again to lead him into the kitchen. On the table by Brent's place was a thick pile of papers. "There will be changes of course, between this and when it comes out, but you get first look."

Brent looked at the top page. "You didn't."

6 comments:

  1. People like that who would beat someone as bad as they did Cody deserves to have a sad life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Unfortunately they probably won't see it that way, even while sitting in jail.

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of bad people blame others for their problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they do. It's the kind of mentality that makes them 'bad' to begin with.

      Delete
  3. Squee! Did Cody dedicate the book to Brent?

    ReplyDelete