Monday, April 12, 2021

Don't Touch Me! - 35

 


Cody shivered, fighting the fear and the need to snatch his hand back.

"You're trembling," Brent said, his gaze filled with understanding. "I think we'll stop for tonight." He traced one finger lightly down the length of Cody's hand and sat back. "We don't want you so traumatized you won't be willing to try again tomorrow."

"It… I won't let it rule me," Cody repeated after taking a deep breath. "Now that I know, I'm not going to let my fear conquer me ever again."

"That's my man," Brent said. "But for now, you're exhausted, physically and mentally. You need sleep."

"To knit up the raveled sleeve of care?" Cody quoted with a quirky smile.

"Umm, yeah, sure."

"Macbeth. Shakespeare."

"I knew that."

Cody laughed. "Sure you did."

"There's that smile again. The one I like."

"Now, maybe, you'll see it more often."

Brent nodded. "I plan on it." He got up, waiting for Cody, then they walked to the front door. "I suspect coffee just before bed wasn't the greatest idea."

"I do it all the time. I bet you do too."

Brent chuckled. "Well, now that you mention it… Okay, let me out, set the alarm then get your butt up to bed."

"Planning on it." Cody tried to unlock the door, only to realize it already was. He looked at Brent with feigned annoyance. "You didn't lock up."

"Yeah, well I had my hands full, and I was more worried about you than anything else."

"Figured." He opened the door. "I'll see you tomorrow? Well, today, I guess, since I bet it's after midnight."

"It is, and you will." For a second Brent hesitated before lightly touching Cody's hand. "Sleep well."

Cody was startled enough to pull away, clenching his hands, before he realized it was only surprise, not fear, he felt. He sighed in relief, clasping Brent's hand for a long moment. Brent rubbed the back of Cody's hand with his thumb. "Tomorrow, then. I'll call first."

"Okay." He watched as Brent walked to his car, and when Brent waved, he waved back. "I am going to be all right now, I think," he murmured, going back inside. "At least with him, and I hope with everyone."

 

4 comments:

  1. He will have a hard battle ahead. I still flinch sometimes when someone next to me raises their hand too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will, but with Brent's help he should be able to win it.

      Delete
  2. Progress but lots of work needed.

    ReplyDelete