Sunday, September 20, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 53


 

"How did it go?" Evie asked DJ an hour or so later when he joined the rest of the cast in their favorite spot by the lake.

 

He grinned. "The back of my head is going to be famous." After everyone laughed, he told them, "Roma looked fantastic and Sam was right. No one will recognize him."

 

"I hope my mother doesn't decide she wants to see the show," Dena said. "I never… I've been so excited about being a part of this that I never even thought about the fact we'd have a real audience someday. Crazy, huh?"

 

Jolie hugged her. "I know just what you mean—about the audience part. Up here"—she tapped her forehead—"I knew. But it didn't really sink in until today."

 

"Dena," Fran said, "I don't think you have anything to worry about. As Mrs. Sowerberry, you'll be in makeup to age you. The rest of the time you're playing boys."

 

"I guess." Dena thought a moment then smiled. "You're right. As long as they don't put our names in the program, we're okay."

 

"We're not going to," Tuck said as he joined them. "Believe me. We're well aware your safety is paramount. As I said, there will be no names, no photos of any of you as yourselves." He looked at them, shaking his head. "And what did I tell you about not talking or thinking about the show?"

 

"What did I tell you about elephant?" Evie retorted, laughing.

 

"Touché," Tuck said. "Okay. Brent and I are leaving. He has to rework the ad and get it to the papers first thing in the morning."

 

"So are we," Andy said. "By the way, we found a third woman for you to work in the box office, starting the day after tomorrow."

 

"Great. Thank you. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, they'll be so busy taking ticket orders we'll need a fourth one."

 

"What creek?" Mace asked. "It's a lake."

 

Tuck laughed. "It's an old saying meaning with good luck and no major problems, we'll be successful."

 

"We will be," Sam said emphatically, dropping down beside Ricky. "We've worked too hard not to be."

 

"That you have," Tuck agreed. "This might not be Broadway, but from the energy and enthusiasm you all have put into the show, who knows? Maybe someday we'll be going to New York to see some of you starring on the Great White Way."

 

"My name up in lights," Ricky said, miming looking up at a marquee.

 

"Hey, it could happen," Sam told him. "For any of us, if we want it to."

 

"Never doubt that it could," Tuck replied. He saluted them, and then headed back up to the parking lot with Fran and Andy.

 

"We're supposed to be relaxing and doing something fun," Jolie said.

 

"Like what?" Mace asked.

 

"Well…" She looked at the lake. "Swimming? It's still light enough."

 

"I don't think any of us have swimsuits," he pointed out.

 

"And?"

 

"I am not skinny dipping!" Mace replied emphatically.

 

"Silly boy. Go get some shorts, all of you. I know you own them. I've seen you wearing them. Us, too," Jolie added, looking at the other girls. "Shorts and a T-shirt and we're good to go. Last one back is a monkey's uncle, as my grandpa used to say." For a moment her expression darkened before she dashed off. Everyone else followed and within ten minutes they were back, dressed for swimming.

 

Roma smiled to herself when she overheard Dena whisper to Jolie, "Would you look at Mace. Wow."

 

"Not bad, huh?"

 

"Not bad? He's sex on a stick."

 

Jolie grinned. "So go lick him?"

 

Dena blushed. "Uh-huh. Not. Come on. We're supposed to be swimming."

 

2 comments:

  1. Was I ever that young. I’m sure I have looked at a guy like meat at least twice.🤣 love it sweetie

    ReplyDelete