Thursday, September 12, 2019

Fear - 64


Gene shot up from a dead sleep at the sound of a panicked shout. His first coherent thought was that someone had broken in looking for Shawn and had found him. Grabbing one of the swords from beside the bookcase, he raced down the hallway to the guestroom, flinging the door open so hard it hit the wall.

Shawn gasped, cowering against the backboard of the bed, his face ashen with fear. He took a deep, gulping breath, his eyes blank as he stared blindly off into what Gene instantly decided was some dark nightmare.

Dropping the sword, Gene crossed to the bed, his voice low and firm as he said, "It's all right, Shawn. I'm here. No one's going to hurt you."

Still cowering, Shawn blinked once and then again, before focusing on Gene. He shook his head as if to dispel whatever he'd been dreaming about. "I thought… I thought…" His whole body began to shake.

Gene sat, gathering Shawn into his arms. "It was a dream, only a dream."

"It felt so real. I've never…" Shawn buried his face on Gene's shoulder. "I've had bad ones before, but never like this," he whispered.

Stroking his hair, Gene replied, "You've never had anyone try to kill you before. Beat the shit out of you, yeah, but never try to murder you."

"I…guess." Pulling away, he looked at Gene. "You don't pull your punches."

"I don't see any reason to, now."

"But you never did, not really. You didn't do the 'poor you' thing with me."

Gene nodded. "If I had, you'd have traded your dependency on Jared for depending on me—and not in a good way. The truth might not always be pretty but it's what you needed."

Shawn thought about that. "You're right," he said finally, curling up beside Gene. "Here's a truth for you. I want you."

"I know," Gene said.

"I mean right now."

"I know."

"So?"

"So what are you going to do about it?"

"Strip you naked and have my wicked way with you."

Gene smiled, leaning back, hands behind his head. "Have at it."

6 comments: