Sunday, September 8, 2019

Fear - 62


Gene stopped long enough in the front office to tell his receptionist he'd be gone for the rest of the afternoon, and then with his arm around Shawn's waist, they went out to Gene's car.

"You know, Linda's going to mother the hell out of you," Gene said with a smile as they pulled out of the lot onto the street.

"No she won't, because I'm not going to Max's."

Gene cocked an eyebrow in question. "Why not?"

Shawn grinned, albeit barely since he knew he might be pushing limits. "If I'm going to be mothered, I rather it be by you so I guess that means I get to use your spare bedroom."

Both Gene's eyebrows shot up at that statement. "Excuse me? I don't recall saying that was going to happen."

"But you would have when it occurred to you. Right? I need TLC and I can't think of anyone better to give it to me than my doctor." Shawn kept his gaze serious as he prayed Gene would agree.

For a moment it looked as if Gene wouldn't. Then he laughed. "You're quite the little manipulator. Okay, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have you close by in case of complications."

Shawn laid his head back, sighing in relief. "I wasn't really trying to manipulate you. I just…" His hands started shaking and he gripped them together so Gene wouldn't notice. "I don't want to be alone."

"Like you'd have been alone at Max's." Gene snorted softly, glancing at Shawn. "Hey now…" He reached out to put his hand over Shawn's. "Finally realizing what happened?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, big time I think, now that everything's calmed down. Damn, Gene."

"Come here." When Shawn slid over, Gene put one arm around him while keeping an eye on traffic. "You're going to be fine. It's just delayed reaction to all the hullaballoo."

"Hullaballoo?" Shawn smiled a bit. "That sounds like something a dude in a Western movie would say."

"Well, I did grow up watching them."

"You're not that old."

"Reruns, kid, reruns. My father was addicted to them." Gene pulled up in front of his house and parked as he said that. "Okay, let's take you inside and feed you."

"I'm not sure my stomach can handle anything right now," Shawn replied as he got out, following Gene.

"We'll see. I have soup and bread." Gene led the way to the kitchen once they were inside. "Sit while I heat it up."

"Comfort food?" Shawn asked, claiming one of the stools by the island.

"Yep. My mother used to make soup and crackers when I was sick. It always made me feel better." Gene chuckled. "Unless I had the flu. Then what went in came right back out. She never did quite get why. As far as she was concerned, soup was supposed to calm my stomach, not make things worse."

"Did your parents know you were gay?"

"Did, and still do."

"You mean they're still… Oh yeah, they would be wouldn't they." Shawn shook his head.

Gene laughed. "Mom's fifty-three, my father's fifty-eight, and they're still both as active as ever."

6 comments:

  1. Lol Gene has his hands full with Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of Shawn for voicing his need to be close to Gene! Shawn is really doing amazing. This experience will make him stronger, once he works his way through it.. scary to think about the 'could have happeneds'. Love the soup and bread!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shawn is moving forward and learning to cope with everything...with Gene's help, of course.

      Delete