Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Safe Harbor - 8


Daniel returned right then. After he sat down he slid the transcript across to Bobby. "Please read it to make certain it’s what you told me and then sign it."

Bobby scanned it then put ‘Bobby X’ on the signature line, smirking when Daniel raised an eyebrow. "You and the Father are witnesses that I ‘signed’ it and that’s all you get." More seriously he told him, "No way am I letting you know my real name."

With a sigh, Daniel put down his name as a witness and Kurt did the same.

"So I can split now." Bobby got up, slinging his pack over one shoulder. 

"You can. Thank you for your help."

"Do you need a ride somewhere?" Kurt asked Bobby.

For a second Bobby considered saying he did. After all it would mean he could spend some more time with the Father. Then he shook his head, knowing he was being stupid. "Naw, I’m good. Laters."

Once Bobby was well out of earshot Daniel chuckled. "For a second I thought he was going to say yes to your offer."

"I did too, but he’s very independent so it doesn’t surprise me he turned it down."

Daniel shook his head. "That’s not why."

"Meaning?"

"Twenty to one he’s got a thing for you, Kurt."

"You can’t be serious."

"Why not? You’re good-looking, kind, you probably don’t bug him about how he lives but still let him know he could do better. And…" Daniel paused a beat, "you’re gay."

"Like he’d know that," Kurt protested.

"I’m sure he doesn’t up here." Daniel tapped his temple. "But he might still sense it even if he’s not aware he is. I suspect he’s been around the block a lot more times than either of us would like to think for a kid his age. He has to be able to read people just to stay safe."

Kurt nodded. "I know from what little he’s revealed about himself he’s been on the streets since he was fourteen, and he’s survived it. So you’re probably right about his reading people but still…"

"Just don’t discount it." Daniel smiled as he picked up Bobby’s statement. "I wish he’d seen more than he did."

"Do you think there’s any chance they were cops?"

"Anything’s possible but I damned sure hope not."

4 comments:

  1. The cop is a good reader! Holy shitballs! Love it too freaking short but good god I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome to have four to read all at once but then it's still too short! LOL! You got me wondering what will happen next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea, Hurri. It's called cliff-hangers or some such. LMAO

      Delete