Sunday, January 27, 2019

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 34


As they talked, Paddy realized Mike and Link had joined them. 
"I owe you my life," Mike said, his voice trembling with emotion. Link nodded in agreement.
"Only doing what I was hired for," Paddy replied with a slight smile. "And once you two realized what was happening you'd have gotten yourselves out of there."
Link shook his head. "Maybe, but McKim would have gotten away."
"He didn't though, so all's well. Oh, by the way, Mike, I thought you'd like to know, your sister had nothing to do with this."
Relief flooded Mike's face. "He told you that?"
"Yeah. I sort of forced that much out of him before I punched out his lights." And that's sort of the truth since I invaded his mind to find out.
"Thank God." Mike turned to Massey, asking, "Can I get back to work now?"
"You'll do nothing of the sort," Link said forcefully before Massey could reply. "I think, under the circumstances, they can do without you for the rest of the day. I'm going to take you home and make sure you finally get some sleep, now that this is over."
"I… Okay. If you're sure." Mike smiled at Link for a moment, getting one in return. Then he turned his attention to Paddy. "But first, can I talk to you alone for a minute?"
"Yes," Paddy replied. They moved away from the others. Then, when he was sure no one would overhear, he said, "Go for it."
Mike frowned, then blurted out, "How did you get into the lounge?"
"Through the door?"
"No. The fire must have already been burning or there wouldn't have been smoke so soon. It was like one minute it was just me and Link in there, and then you were shouting for us to get out."
"No," Paddy said quietly, "I did come though the door." As he said that, he implanted the image of his doing it in Mike's mind. Then he smiled. "You two were so wrapped up in his giving you a backrub I think the ceiling could have fallen in and it would have taken you a moment or three to realize it."
"I… Okay, maybe. It just…" Mike nodded. "Yeah I suppose so. You must have come in seconds before he lit it and…"
"And immediately smelled gasoline, which is what Massey said he used, and then the smoke."
"If you say so."
"I do." Paddy chuckled. "And what I say goes because I'm the old one here."
"Older," Mike replied with a bit of a grin. "But not old." Suddenly he hugged Paddy. "Thank you for…everything."
"Hey, it was what you hired me for. Remember that when Vic sends you the bill."
"You're kidding!"
Paddy laughed. "Yeah, I'm kidding. Now you better get back to Link. He looks distinctly worried, especially since you hugged me."
"Ouch. Okay."
"Are you two going to…well you know?"
"I don't know but maybe. I think I like him. I think he likes me. That's a start, right?"
"Yeah it is." Paddy patted Mike's shoulder. "So go."
"Will I see you again?"
Paddy shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe someday."
"I hope so. I'm going to…"
"If you say 'miss you'," Paddy grumbled.
"Well I will. So there." Mike hugged him again, quickly, then headed back to join Link.
"I'm going to miss you too," Paddy said softly, watching the two young men walk away, Link's arm around Mike's waist. "Much more than I have a right to." Moments later he stepped into a doorway where no one could see him and vanished.

4 comments:

  1. Got me sniffling here! Love it! I feel sad for Paddy. I am hoping for Link and Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddy's pretty resilient. He has to be. He's a guardian angel. *G*

      Delete